Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY geo in garage at home, possible?
The Knobs

posted on 24/4/18 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
DIY geo in garage at home, possible?

Is it possible to set the geo up on my car at home, what do I need?
ken555

posted on 24/4/18 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
yes.

Thin string, I used fishing line
4 axle stands, and a steel rule.
Glossy mags (Not those type) to make the car level and allow the wheels to swivel/move with little friction

And lots of time

For the camber/caster you will need a spirit level and an angle finder. Or if you want to spend money buy a bubble gauge

Look up String alignment

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daf

posted on 24/4/18 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cut an old number plate into two, put the two parts together with some grease between them - makes a great rotating platform for when you do it!
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/4/18 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Very good results using string. I spent out a £1 and bought some bright pink(!) jewellery cord stuff, thin, flexible strong etc.

For camber and castor I printed off an image from this page https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/ada-castor-camber-gauge-adaccg and stuck it on some hardboard, bit of above cord and a small weight, job done.

Took an afternoon (leisurely, lots of double-checking etc). And I started by setting the fronts parallel using some flat boards approx 24" long and 6" wide and a tape measure. Then did rears the same. Then started with the string. Car handles really well....perfectly even tyre wear etc etc.

The Knobs

posted on 24/4/18 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
So, what settings do I need to use? I have some written down somewhere from when the car was built by Toyshop but any useful settings for a trackday and occasional road use. Striker with IRS BEC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.