Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aygo engine problem - help?
JC

posted on 6/5/18 at 04:55 AM Reply With Quote
Aygo engine problem - help?

My Son phoned up last night. He said his Aygo was suffering a big loss of power. A few minutes later he called to say it had stopped on him as he pulled up at a roundabout. He pushed it into a service station but it wouldn’t restart - he said it was making a funny whirring noise and not turning over properly....after a while he called back to say he could start it, but only with accelerator flat to the floor.....however it was shaking the whole car and over the phone I could hear a regular metallic ‘pinging’ noise - like something metal and rotating was catching on something. When the recovery man came out to bring him home, he said something about gearbox bearings......I’m not sure!

My first thought was Catalytic converter collapse.

Second thought either alternator or AC compressor issue.

Any other thoughts where to start looking? Hoping it’s not a big end bearing....😬

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/5/18 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Loss of power, lots of shaking....doesn't sound good to me.
Did it have oil and coolant in it? Think some investigations needed, but suspect it won't take long Hopefully it is something simple, but I bet good engines are pretty cheap? And probably light and easy to fit. (we have a 107, so essentially the same car, seems good bit of kit to me)

JC

posted on 7/5/18 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Car has been using oil recently apparently. Grrrr kids!
There wasn’t any showing on dipstick so topped up with a litre before it indicated.

Water all fine

Making an awful racket when running - sounds like a hammer loose in the engine.......(not liking that)

I did push the car in gear with clutch in - a few weird clunks, not present when pushed in neutral.
Also, clutch is very stiff over the last few cms of pedal travel.

Tried compression test. Cylinder 1 - 14, 2 - 8, 3 - 14.
After adding oil. Cylinder 1 - 17, 2 - 17, 3 - 14.

Hmmmm....

Next step I guess is drop the sump and see what is in there....

[Edited on 7/5/18 by JC]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 8/5/18 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
Not likely to be good. They only hold 3 litres of oil
The low compression on no2 is hardly good news, though could be unrelated. Possibly. But I suspect the bottom end is quite unwell.

JC

posted on 8/5/18 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Yes....that’s my fear.

Annoyingly, the engine has to come out the bottom of the car - it’s a really tall unit and I don’t think I can get the car high enough on ramps to get it out - used engines are hardly expensive but having to pay a garage to put one in makes it a different proposition . Oh and did I mention Son just lost his job too.....poor lad!

JC

posted on 8/5/18 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - shredded white metal found in sump........

Wanted - Toyota Aygo engine!

hughpinder

posted on 9/5/18 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
hard luck that,
when you search for the engine, don't forget the Pug 107/Citroen C1 is the same so look for them too.
Regards
Hugh

JC

posted on 9/5/18 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/5/18 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
There’s loads about and not that expensive yes they come out from the bottom or take the front of the car off

[Edited on 9/5/18 by ian locostzx9rc2]

JimSpencer

posted on 9/5/18 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I too think I've seen this done by removing the front bumper and front of the car..

The Citroen C1 racing series lads I think - done in a paddock with a trolley jack.. IIRC

I'd Google the C1 Racing series and ask on there how they do it?

HTH

JC

posted on 9/5/18 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
That’s a great suggestion! Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.