Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyres - R888R or alternative?
Stuart15

posted on 16/5/18 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Tyres - R888R or alternative?

Evening all,

I have had a google before but most threads i've come across seem a little outdated, seemingly with some tyres (R888 and AO21) going out of production.

I wanted to ask for 13" (185/60/R13) tyre advice on a Fisher Fury (car engine).

The car will be primarily used on the road with maybe 5 track days per year. I gather standing water performance in cars like these is unavoidably bad so I am most concerned with finding a tyre which is effective and enjoyable on the road but doesn't leave me wanting on the track. Part of me wonders whether the R888 type tyres are so grippy that they might remove an element of fun at road legal speeds?? Although not a kitcar, the Toyota GT86 was praised for using less grippy Prius tyres which enhanced the driving experience on the road.

Also R888R's do seem a bit steep, though I am willing to pay that if they're worth it.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Paul_Arion

posted on 16/5/18 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the Nankang AR1 tyres if after something similar and will work well on a light car. But stiffer sidewall than the Yoko’s - I’ve got a set on my Arion but still building. They got positive reviews though
HowardB

posted on 16/5/18 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've got R1R on my car engined Fury, they seem good although they have yet to be "exercised" on a track

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/5/18 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nankang ns2r are a good road/ track had them on my striker really good takes a lap or 2 to warm up on track but really good feel and wear rate on the road pretty good in the damp wet conditions good value too around £55 each

[Edited on 16/5/18 by ian locostzx9rc2]

ettore bugatti

posted on 16/5/18 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Kumho does the V70A in 175/60R13

Yokohama A539 is a more street friendly profile, but quite old as well.

pekwah1

posted on 16/5/18 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve got the new r888r on my striker and love them! They’re an improvement on the old 888, especially in the wet.
I’m running 185/60/13 and although extremely grippy, they still let go to some degree so you can have a play and seem pretty progressive.

I would certainly recommend them!

adithorp

posted on 17/5/18 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
I’ve got the new r888r on my striker and love them! They’re an improvement on the old 888, especially in the wet.
I’m running 185/60/13 and although extremely grippy, they still let go to some degree so you can have a play and seem pretty progressive.

I would certainly recommend them!

Got to agree.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/18 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Avon ZZR.

It think they do 2 compounds in 13s, but the 15s ive used are the harder compound, but still relatively soft. They are just superb. Great in colder conditions as warm up is great but and last well too.

Mistral Motorsport

rodgling

posted on 17/5/18 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart15
Evening all,

I have had a google before but most threads i've come across seem a little outdated, seemingly with some tyres (R888 and AO21) going out of production.

I wanted to ask for 13" (185/60/R13) tyre advice on a Fisher Fury (car engine).

The car will be primarily used on the road with maybe 5 track days per year. I gather standing water performance in cars like these is unavoidably bad so I am most concerned with finding a tyre which is effective and enjoyable on the road but doesn't leave me wanting on the track. Part of me wonders whether the R888 type tyres are so grippy that they might remove an element of fun at road legal speeds?? Although not a kitcar, the Toyota GT86 was praised for using less grippy Prius tyres which enhanced the driving experience on the road.

Also R888R's do seem a bit steep, though I am willing to pay that if they're worth it.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Well... how much do you plan to drive it in the wet? R888 (and the other similar tyres) are very good in the wet when they are new with plenty of tread, but you need to take a lot of care when they're running low.

If you like going really fast round corners on track, they are definitely worth it... if you prefer sliding around, they're not the best choice. Both are fun, take your pick.

Stuart15

posted on 17/5/18 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant, thank you for your thoughts. I'll have a think and in the mean time, the car has 7 year old A539's on so going to enjoy doing some wheel spins and wearing the tread down on those before first track day in a couple of weeks.
number-1

posted on 17/5/18 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Nankang AR-1s are shocking in the wet! However in the dry they are by far the best ive used.

Personally......... i would get a spare set of rims with track based rubber on and another set of rims for the road..... but cost comes into it.

Dont forget that just because you have 185/60R13s on, that you can get a wider tyre to fit the rim which may give you more affordable deals

A mate uses Kumho V70a tyres on his supercharged Atom and thinks they are the best thing since Angel delight

Stuart15

posted on 18/5/18 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'm assuming people use the GG compound on the R888r which I gather is the medium rather than the soft compound to get a decent life out of them?

[Edited on 18/5/18 by Stuart15]

rodgling

posted on 18/5/18 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart15
Thanks, I'm assuming people use the GG compound on the R888r which I gather is the medium rather than the soft compound to get a decent life out of them?

[Edited on 18/5/18 by Stuart15]

Medium compound usually for road & trackday use, yes - unless you're into sprinting, then people will often use the soft compound.

lordbenny

posted on 7/6/18 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Nangkang AR1’s, I have them on my Westfield....they’re epic!
mark chandler

posted on 7/6/18 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm loving r888r, they work immediately when sprinting but do not have longevity
Stuart15

posted on 8/6/18 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Well I've had a set of R888R's delivered, look forward to seeing how they are!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.