Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front wings
James24785

posted on 12/6/18 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Front wings

Ok so last part of my winter makeover is to fit my new sport style front wings. I've got a few tubes of sticky stuff, but how is best to actually fit?
Naturally, being a kitcar, they don't exactly just drop into place and sit nice first time. They need a bit of a push down in order to get them to sit nice, and not leave a massive "arch gap."
How have people held their wings in place whilst the adhesive sets?

Next thing is, I don't want any mechanical fixing if I can get away with it? I like a clean look, so I don't really want bolt heads on show. Am I likely to lose a wing at some point if I rely on the adhesive alone?

Thanks!

big-vee-twin

posted on 12/6/18 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I used Silkaflex to glue the bracket to the underside and once set fibre glassed over the bracket too.

My wings are flat top I stood a car battery on top til set.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

nick205

posted on 13/6/18 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
My MK Indy front wings were stuck with Sikaflex and then had 4 x M5x10 stainless dome head Allen bolts into the MK wing stays. They never came off and I managed a good close fit between the tyres and the wings.

rodgling

posted on 15/6/18 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I used Silkaflex to glue the bracket to the underside and once set fibre glassed over the bracket too.

My wings are flat top I stood a car battery on top til set.

Yup, this is how I did mine - I glassed in a couple of small brackets with studs poking through to attach to the main bracket on the uprights.

No issues at all with coming off, the main brackets attached to the upright have broken a few times but I doubt the fibreglass will ever let go. I've also glassed in a bit of tubing to pass some wiring through.

I've arranged mine so that the wing can be easily removed, this is essential for when the bracket breaks (which it inevitably will).

[Edited on 15/6/18 by rodgling]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.