Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Shortened Sump
jamiepearson69

posted on 17/7/18 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec Shortened Sump

After a Zetec Shortened sump to go on a 1.8 Blacktop if anyone has one.

Thanks

SJ

posted on 17/7/18 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Can't help you with a sump, but just wanted to say they are really easy to shorten. The metal part can just be chopped so the deeper side is level with the shallower side with, a couple of baffles if you want, and welded back up either with the original base or ideally some sheet steel.

If you want to add back in extra capacity that is a bit more complex but not too bad.

I did mine in 3 mm and even with my welding it doesn't leak.

Stu

[Edited on 17/7/18 by SJ]

jamiepearson69

posted on 17/7/18 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a mig and was going to go down that route, however I have read that if you are using the car on track days (which I am) its wise to get a pro one made. Not sure if there is any evidence to support this?
SJ

posted on 17/7/18 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've got a mig and was going to go down that route, however I have read that if you are using the car on track days (which I am) its wise to get a pro one made. Not sure if there is any evidence to support this?

Obviously it is your choice and if you have spent a lot on building an engine then that might influence your choice, but as my engine was £85 I wasn't planning on spending loads on a sump.

Mine is just chopped and welded up - no baffles at all other than what the standard alloy part of the BT sumps has.

I've done 4 or 5 track days and oil pressure was rock solid.

Stu

jamiepearson69

posted on 17/7/18 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
That's good to know.

Are you using a CVH sump? or are 1.8 sumps steel?

SJ

posted on 17/7/18 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Standard blacktop 2 part sump, with alloy upper and steel lower.
big_wasa

posted on 17/7/18 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
All comes down to what you want to spend.

I’ve come across a guy that makes Blacktop sumps for F2 stock cars that look very suitable for a kitcar he comes very highly regarded for quality and service. Neil Dunne , they are around 275 ready to fit.

I am going to revisit making my own but increase the capacity but I am tempted just buy one.

The best of the best is the raceline.

loggyboy

posted on 17/7/18 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I choose the DIY route, cut and welded a block top 2 stage sump (cut and extended lower steel section). Then did some sums and worked out it was a half a litre under OE spec, I also wasnt convinced the basic baffles I added would do enough, so when an Acusump came up cheap I picked that up. Kits still not finished so cant comment beyond that, but IMO, an acusump covers multiple issues (cold start oil pressure, surge, and oil volume) which even a pro wet sump can only really give partial reassurance against 2 of those, so was a no brainer.

Mistral Motorsport

Fandango

posted on 17/7/18 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
All comes down to what you want to spend.

I’ve come across a guy that makes Blacktop sumps for F2 stock cars that look very suitable for a kitcar he comes very highly regarded for quality and service. Neil Dunne , they are around 275 ready to fit.

I am going to revisit making my own but increase the capacity but I am tempted just buy one.

The best of the best is the raceline.

I got the Dunnel one. Nicely made piece of kit. Comes with modified pickup, and windage tray (said to prevent the foaming of returning oil) Fitted and forgotten, after many trackdays.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

big_wasa

posted on 17/7/18 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yep in the past I’ve had a scholar engines sump and it’s the same sort of thing and quality. There getting harder and more expensive to find and I am not sure scholar still do them ? It’s a while since I looked.
fossett

posted on 17/7/18 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for Dunnell, top quality...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.