Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Project locust fireblade
Haggi961

posted on 31/7/18 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Project locust fireblade

Hey Everyone

Picked up a new project of a locust T & J with a cbr 900rr engine in it. Anything Special about this being T & J? It needs a bit of tlc from what I can see and I want to bring it up to date with a full respray, td wheels ect.

I don’t know much about this car yet as in what make of parts I need or best place to source them but I’m sure il learn as I strip it down.

Parts il be looking for are a set of fibreglass bucket seats, td wheels or something similar that are 13inch to replace the rs wheels as these look a bit dated for me. Speedo to fit into the spare clocks housing along with alloy fuel tank and fuel gauge and few other bits.

Anyone know what type of clocks are in this? So I can buy the speedo to fit in it.

[Edited on 31/7/18 by Haggi961]

big_wasa

posted on 31/7/18 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a locost not a locust to me ?
Myke 2463

posted on 31/7/18 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Same here, not Locust.

Be Lucky Mike.

Haggi961

posted on 31/7/18 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
It’s definitely a locust as it’s on the v5. It’s a locust T and J
big_wasa

posted on 31/7/18 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just because it's on the v5 doesn't mean it's so.

Do a search.

A locust is an alloy clad plywood tub on a ladder chassis using the donor front subframe.

Yours very much looks like a traditional locost space frame chassis. Very much a "book" build that's been updated to a bike engine.

[Edited on 31/7/18 by big_wasa]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 31/7/18 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
The implication is someone has taken a T&J Locust and made it into a ringer by putting the registration on a locost.

However on the grand scheme of things this is one of the 'best' ringers (if their is such a thing) as to most people it looks like the car its supposed to be. Its not like the log book says Ford cortina which it very obviously isn't.

The fact it appears to be a ringer means its possible its actually an illegal car.

(NB this is all from reading a couple of posts, its probably scared your pants off, sorry. Hopefully i'm totally wide of the mark and it is fully legit and registered correctly).

If it isn't legit then the best course of action is to try to get your money back OR put it through IVA to make it legit.

Haggi961

posted on 31/7/18 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
It’s all legit as I wouldn’t of wasted my time and money buying it. V5 is in my name with engine and chassis numbers all correct on the v5 to the car itself. It’s has mot history and also can be taxed. From my understanding a locust has wooden panels which tbh can easily be replaced with alloy.
SJ

posted on 31/7/18 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It’s all legit as I wouldn’t of wasted my time and money buying it. V5 is in my name with engine and chassis numbers all correct on the v5 to the car itself. It’s has mot history and also can be taxed. From my understanding a locust has wooden panels which tbh can easily be replaced with alloy.

Sorry, but that's not right. As the guys have said a TJ Locust is a different car altogether. That the engine and chassis numbers match, well, that is very easy to sort out on one of these cars.

However whether anyone would ever know is hard to say.

Wiki - Locust

theconrodkid

posted on 31/7/18 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
as above, deffo a locost and not a lucust

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Haggi961

posted on 31/7/18 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
If it’s a locost then it makes getting parts easier by the looks of it. The main thing for me is the car is straight and has a good solid engine and it can have a mot. The rest of it doesn’t bother me as like most cars people swap bits around to improve the car to suit that person. I can see this has been done properly at some point in its life and just needs my stamp on it as I’m not a fan of the alloy and red combo.
bonzoronnie

posted on 31/7/18 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just to play devils advocate

Is it possible that a T J Locust was used as a donor vehicle for a Ron Champion book spec build ?

Also any possibly that said book spec car was built & put on the road prior to the introduction of the SVA / IVA test ?

Prior to the introduction of the SVA test , I thought you just built a kit car, took it for an mot & it was ready for the road .
I do know that a large number of kit car builders just used the donor cars registration document & number plate.

Was there not an amnesty for all such kit cars when SVA was first introduced.

Please forgive me if I am spouting complete & utter crap ( Wouldn't be the first time )

martin500

posted on 31/7/18 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
There is a Locust owners club, have a look for more information

here

Martin

myke pocock

posted on 31/7/18 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
A Locust cannot have its panels removed and replaced by alloy because the whole body tub is made of plywood. I built a JC Midge which is exactly the same principle, ply tub with alloy thin skin stuck to it.
ReMan

posted on 1/8/18 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is the Haggluund yours to?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.