Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover K series VVC160 Oil Volume
Stuart15

posted on 5/8/18 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Rover K series VVC160 Oil Volume

Evening all,

After doing an oil change last weekend i'm not confident i've got the correct amount of oil in the sump!

I have a Fisher Fury with Rover K series VVC160 and read that it should take 4.5-5 litres of oil. So in I pour 4 litres of oil with a fresh filter with the intent of topping up the rest when the car is flat and off the jack. Oil level on the dipstick was well above the max marker. So i've spend a while syringing oil back out to try and get the oil level down to an appropriate level.

I took about 750ml out from the original 4 litres and now the oil sits just above the max marker.

Just over 3 litres doesn't seem like a lot of oil. Checking through past receipts from previous owners I found 'Wet sump rover injection AN/1290' but couldn't find much info on it. Is it likely the dipstick isn't accurate?

Does anyone wiser with more experience than me have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stuart

[Edited on 5/8/18 by Stuart15]

gremlin1234

posted on 5/8/18 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
so you filled the sump, but the filter will be empty, until after the engine has run
Stuart15

posted on 5/8/18 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies, I should have said I went out for an hours drive and still got the same dipstick reading after.
rusty nuts

posted on 5/8/18 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Has the sump been modified?
MikeRJ

posted on 5/8/18 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
AN/1290 is the low profile Caterham wet sump. This looks shallower than the standard Rover sump so it's possible the oil capacity is lower. Might be worth a search on the Caterham forum.
Stuart15

posted on 5/8/18 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not that I'm aware of. I would be surprised if it has because the car is fairly standard throughout, without much focus on performance modifications.

Ah OK, I'll have a look at Caterham forums.

Stuart15

posted on 15/9/18 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
If it proves of any use to anyone, the answer seems to be to check while the engine has been running for a while make sure the oil is near to top of the dipstick markers. This is due to the decreased oil capacity of the smaller sump.

An ex Caterham employee explains this on the 2nd page of this Caterham forum thread. https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/dipstick-oil-levels-k-series?page=1

Hope this helps.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.