Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interior paneling and plastic mounting
ChrisJ15

posted on 18/8/18 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Interior paneling and plastic mounting

The sills in my J15 are large so I have opening tops to them for storage. The problem is without any dividers things clatter about (especially with lively driving!).

What I'd like to do is use a plastic profile a bit like this...

__¦¦__

So the base can be velcroed to the inside of the sill and some palstic materical can be inserted between the two vertical sections and maybe rivetted through.

Trouble is I can find that profile of plastic or any suitable plastic sheet. I've seen some plastic sheet that is embossed to look like vinyl but cant find a supplier.

Any ideas?

Andybarbet

posted on 18/8/18 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think you can get Ali extrusion used for carport type roofs that's a similar profile.

Put 'glazing bar' in an eBay search.

I picked up a couple of ABS sheets that are 5mm thick for when I panel my boot area, it's nice to work with using a jigsaw, I think I got it from RS Components.

[Edited on 18/8/18 by Andybarbet]

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Slimy38

posted on 18/8/18 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I am expecting to do the same with my car for pockets, what I was going to go for is that odd 'sticky rubber' stuff that holds things still. This stuff;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-slip-Resistant-Non-slip-Mobile-Glasses/dp/B0746GM684

But cheaper and in a larger sheet. I figured the fact that it's rubber means that things won't actually rattle, and the sticky idea will at least slow things down if not stop them moving entirely.

obfripper

posted on 18/8/18 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJ15
The sills in my J15 are large so I have opening tops to them for storage. The problem is without any dividers things clatter about (especially with lively driving!).

What I'd like to do is use a plastic profile a bit like this...

__¦¦__

So the base can be velcroed to the inside of the sill and some palstic materical can be inserted between the two vertical sections and maybe rivetted through.

Trouble is I can find that profile of plastic or any suitable plastic sheet. I've seen some plastic sheet that is embossed to look like vinyl but cant find a supplier.

Any ideas?

Have a look here for plastic sheet:

http://www.plasticstockist.com/ABS-Sheet.aspx

Dave

rusty nuts

posted on 18/8/18 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Would an aluminium extrusion work? I'm sure I have a length somewhere
ChrisJ15

posted on 18/8/18 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks Rusty Nuts but I think almunium would be too much of a PITA to bend to the currved profile of the sill.

I was thinking of using plastic so I could cut wedges out to allow if to follow the curve and use self adhesive velcro so I could move the partitions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.