snapper

posted on 25/8/18 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
Guy Martin

This is one to watch
Guy Martin, Jenson Button, 1983 Williams F1 car & Williams 6 wheel prototype

Monday 9:00pm Channel 4

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

scudderfish

posted on 25/8/18 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
9pm is the news, it's on at 11 * I love tech, I'm on holiday in Greece, but thanks to this post and an app on my phone I can remotely program my Freesat box.

* Unless my phone is accounting for the two hours time difference and presenting the TV guide in local time rather than UK time.....

snapper

posted on 25/8/18 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
No it’s monday at 9:00pm
News is at 7:00

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

scudderfish

posted on 25/8/18 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, app is uselessly giving me local times for programmes rather than UK times.
chris

posted on 25/8/18 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
i will be watching if i havent fallen asleep by 9pm
Rod Ends

posted on 26/8/18 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good:

Guy takes part in his first-ever Formula 1 race as he goes head to head with 2009 world champion Jenson Button
around Silverstone Grand Prix circuit.
Guy is driving a classic 1983 Williams FW08c, working for six months with the Williams heritage Division
to restore it from museum piece to racing condition, and learned how to drive Formula 1 style under the direction of Karun Chandhok,
formerly of the Hispania Racing F1 Team, while Jenson takes to the track in a prototype six-wheeled Williams from the 1980s

www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/3060654/141707716/speed-with-guy-martin

P.S. Guy Martin's got another book coming

www.amazon.co.uk/Need-Weaken-Mixture-Guy-Martin/dp/0753545454

nick205

posted on 26/8/18 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good and my boys like the sound of it as well.
On the list for viewing tomorrow night.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/8/18 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Quite entertaining...

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/18 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Didnt do much for me - far too sanitised. They should do a making of. My interest was perked up when he started asking lots of questions about the DFV to the engineers, but was annoyed when they edited just show that Guy was asking technical questions. I wanted to hear the responses from the engineers. I know its prime time, but just needed a little more to keep the geeks interested IMO.

[Edited on 28-8-18 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 28/8/18 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't really do that much for me either, in fact I watched until 10pm and went to bed. Might watch the rest on catch-up tonight, but TBH bed/sleep will probably be calling louder again!

Should add that my two sons had both gone to bed by the time it started as well. They knew it was on, but seemed to have lost interest in watching it.

[Edited on 28/8/18 by nick205]

steve m

posted on 28/8/18 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have to say, I was disappointed as well

To much waffle, and not enough about the car, we saw Guy offer up a whishbone and then.... flash off to some dribble,
the DFW bit was extremely disappointing as I would of loved to of seen the inside bits, but no, just torque a cam bearing in

But the bit, that we discussed at work, was his driving lines, and ability ? it was as if hed never driven a car, let alone been on a track, Guy is a VERY experienced and good Bike racer, so he nows the fastest line through every bend, so wether its bike or car, there pretty well the same

I think Guy must of had a bump on his head, or dementia has set in, or is it the TV drama, and intrigue that we have to think that Guy is a total numpty ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

snapper

posted on 28/8/18 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I enjoyed the Guy bits
Thought Nutton was just there to show off a bit
And Williams wanted full control for PR purposes

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

Barksavon

posted on 28/8/18 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Guy Martin is too predictable now, it's more about getting time on the telly for him than the content of the programme. Suspect he has succumbed to the lure of the ££££££'s
Like someone else has said, I watched it until 10 then I too succumbed to the lure of the Zzzzzzzz's.

nick205

posted on 29/8/18 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Didn't really do that much for me either, in fact I watched until 10pm and went to bed. Might watch the rest on catch-up tonight, but TBH bed/sleep will probably be calling louder again!

Should add that my two sons had both gone to bed by the time it started as well. They knew it was on, but seemed to have lost interest in watching it.

[Edited on 28/8/18 by nick205]

Didn't bother trying to watch the rest on catch-up. The rest of my family decided to watch flipping Bake Off so I went upstairs and read my book instead.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/8/18 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
watched it, not over impressed and I thought he raced bikes?

anyway the Chernobyl one was much more interesting

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JimSpencer

posted on 29/8/18 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's very hard to appreciate just how massive an undertaking jumping into a Historic F1 car is..

They're VERY quick indeed plus any single seater is totally alien environment to any road car you'll ever come across - supercars/Sevens included - as the feel from the car is incredibly direct compared to anything else.
Even being out of my humble one for a couple of weeks makes the first couple of runs interesting as things happen very quickly indeed and it takes a while for the mind to catch up, multiply that by a couple of factors and just being able to drive it consistently is impressive, getting to circa 10 - 15 seconds or so, a lap, behind Button is really impressive..

As for the comment regarding his lines, yes Bikes and Cars run different lines, and the perspective on a bike is totally different to a car, so for 5 laps with no practice I though he did really well to be quite honest.

However I can appreciate why it didn't come across like that - making F1 car's look as quick as they are on TV is really hard to do, especially at Silverstone as you're miles away from the cars, without a bit of insider understanding he wasn't going to come out of that one looking good, unless you have some grasp of what he was taking on.

For me his take on Uk Hillclimbing (in the Speed episode where he was going to Pikes Peak) was more representative - the blokes good, has talent and is kind to the kit, plus he helps keep motorsport in the public eye in a good way which can't hurt.

overdriver

posted on 29/8/18 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
So, you have the honest to goodness, down to earth, engaging article that is Guy Martin alongside Jenson Button - one of the 'good guys' of Formula 1 - and the virtually once in a lifetime view of two iconic grand prix cars in action....... er....what's not to like?

A perfect programme it wasn't, but perfection is subjective anyway. Personally I enjoyed it and appreciate the opportunity to view a relatively petrol-head indulgent programme on a mainstream TV channel.

Michael.

jeffw

posted on 29/8/18 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Aero cars and the trust you have to put in the aero to go fast is a world away from non-aero Seven type cars.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/8/18 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
When I watched the programme I thought of the time on Top Gear when Richard Hammond drove an F1 car - and couldn't drive it fast enough to get the brakes & tyres working properly.

I thought Guy did well - although the programme did make him look a bit of a yokel next to Button etc, which was unfortunate as he's a worthy bloke. You could see that Guy hated all the publicity bit though, which is all part of his personality.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.