Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield SEW winter supercharger upgrade
CraigJ

posted on 27/8/18 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield SEW winter supercharger upgrade

Just thought i would put a thread up on here for My Westfield.

Late last year the car was damaged when the trailer it was on came adrift from the tow car and ended up in a ditch.

I saw the car for sale at the end of January at a certain TVR salvage place in the north east. The spec sounded good so i bought it unseen and had it shipped down to Yorkshire. Should point out i had just moved house only a few weeks before and our little girl was only about 7/8 months old and me and the wife are both self employed so spare time wasn't and still doesn't exist so the last thing i needed was a project. I had sold my last kit only a year before as our daughter was due and we had the house for sale it was just going to be in the way.

This was bought as a complete death trap, stripped to a bare chassis and every part cleaned, rebuilt or replaced.

The westfield as it was advertised

And when it was delivered

First impressions was it wasn't too bad but was a b***h to push. This turned out to be binding rear drums.

The only damage to the chassis was slight distortion to the top 3 rails. I took some measurements from a friends and stuck the porta power between the top rails and slowly pushed it back out.

I then removed the damaged rails and welded in new box section. Every thing was now straight again. 1 lower wish bone was also replaced as it had a slight bend where the ball joint attaches. All the other wish bones were straight.

Painted back up

Now the chassis was straight again i started going over the car looking for any potential issues.

Clutch cable was sticking so swapped it out while access was easy.

While i was doing this i decided to check the brake fluid and discovered the rear master cylinder was dry. This also explained why the brake lights didnt work. New master cylinder fitted and all was good again.

With the body tub off i gave the car a good going over and found a busted rear shock. so both were replaced.

new shocks. Also had to fit new rivnuts for the fuel tank straps as the old ones were spinning.

Lots of small jobs were done but forgot to take pics most of the time.

All electrical plugs for lights frond and rear were replaced for new and all earth points were cleaned as i had a few small electrical glitches.

Rear drums were stripped and cleaned. both brake cylinders replaced and built back up. No more binding and the car rolls much nicer.

Started getting the body back on the chassis. So much fun doing this on your own. New clear lenses and new led reverse and fog lights fitted.

New wing mirrors were required, a new pair were bought, fitted and removed just as quick when i discovered i could not see any thing at all behind me. Some roll bar mounted ones were later found and shipped from china.

Head light bowls were replaced as the passenger one was smashed, and caterham style indicator pods were fitted.

Lots of other little jobs were done including fitting an immobilizer, removing a few unused switches and replacing the headlight and fog switch as they were getting a bit old and unreliable.

Coolant change was done along with oil and filter. The gearbox and diff will be getting changed over winter when i pull the box.

Mann W77 oil filter for anyone looking for one for a 1.8 Zetec. Replacement via Amazon prime for 7 quid.

Finally back on its wheels and rolled it out the garage to run it up and make sure it didn't over heat and that the fan kicked in when it should.

The bonnet and nose cone went to my brother in laws bodyshop and a quick repair and bit of paint was thrown on as i had the MOT booked in 4 days. Replacement cycle wings were bought from a local member on here nice and cheap and bolted on.

B&Q ali mesh bonded in the nose and bonnet scoop and off to the MOT station.

This was my first time driving it. made the mistake of setting the shocks to half way. As soon as i was out the car i put all 4 on the softest setting. Much better.

Car past the MOT with no problem and was taxed before i left for the drive home.

Nose cone badge added

from first proper drive out. Impressed with it so far. Still a few niggle to sort but the car drives great. Steers straight and feels great in the corners.

Only had the chance to have one other drive out since due to work/family life etc but will get some more miles in over the summer.

First clean today since i have owned it. Also balanced the carbs and set the idle.

Parked in front of the wife's Abarth post MOT its looks tiny.

Still to do/ Plans for the winter

Need to setup the corner weights.

Pull and strip the gearbox as it has a crunch between 3/4 when being pushed.

Replace the carbs with throttle bodies and maybe supercharge it.

New dash along with a digidash and full new wiring loom.

Will be other bits that i cant think of right now.

[Edited on 27/8/18 by CraigJ]

40inches

posted on 27/8/18 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
No images?????
CraigJ

posted on 27/8/18 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Pics should be sorted now
Mash

posted on 27/8/18 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job Remember seeing that advertised myself.
CraigJ

posted on 27/8/18 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Right small update, parts have started to arrive ready for winter.

New race dash. I looked at quite a few and some are very good but most are very expensive and i just want to see the important info nice and clear but all in one unit. I started looking at the chinese Sinco-tech stuff on ebay and was going to give them a try but then noticed this display from LD Performance.

It can show 7 different things in a nice clear bright display and you can change what you want to see via software that you down load from there site.

It is compatible with a few different ECU's including megasquirt which is what i will be running, or you can connect direct to the sensors.

For £149 it was worth a shot. Speed is via can from ecu or a GPS adapter which was £25 extra.

A few weeks ago i spotted a Jackson Racing supercharger kit for a 2.0 focus Zetec on Ebay in Texas. A few messages to the seller and i got a bit of the price and had it shipped over. It arrived today.

Jackson Racing were selling this in the early 00's for the US focus. They no longer make them. I liked the fact that the blower and inlet are in a nice smallish package so no fab work will be required. I plan to overhaul the blower but in total the full kit including rebuild will owe me less than a grand. Current new kits from other places all seem to be over 3k so a nice saving.

Need to pick up a Zetec throttle body, fuel rail and some cream injectors from a C20Xe vauxhall lump.

Water/Meth injection will be used to keep charge temps low as there is no way to fit an intercooler with this kit.

I will need to work out the pulley ratios also to make sure i don't over speed the blower as my current red line is set at 7700 rpm and also to make sure i get the boost i'm hoping for, nothing silly just aiming for 8 psi and see how it goes.

Still to buy:

Megasquirt, water/meth injection kit new loom for the car plus other bits and bobs

perksy

posted on 27/8/18 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Nice work that, good to see a car being saved

Just a thought, What power are you hoping for as VX cream injectors tend to run out of injector duration at about 200 bhp ish

I used SAAB Turbo reds on mine and they were still fine for duration at 220bhp

CraigJ

posted on 27/8/18 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Its currently at 181bhp at the flywheel and hoping to get it over 200bhp. Other setups have been getting around 220bhp with water/meth injection.

I haven't done too much research on the injectors yet. Just had a little read and found a few had used the cream injectors. Will look more into the SAAB reds.

Thanks

big_wasa

posted on 27/8/18 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
If they are the Bosch end fed style as fitted to the black top have a look at the mk1 focus Rs. They are 400cc they run at 212bhp as standard and max out around 300 on the 2.7 bar fuel reg. Gbs has new ones.
big_wasa

posted on 27/8/18 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and I am really keen to see how you get on with the dash, I was looking at them yesterday.
CraigJ

posted on 29/8/18 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I won’t be fitting until later In the year but Toni will update when it’s in.
CraigJ

posted on 18/9/18 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Small update, still finding parts.

Managed to drop on a new inlet manifold for a focus 1.8/2.0 for £90 that had new idle control valve, throttle body and fuel rail and injectors.

The injectors will be too small for the power i'm looking for so these have already been replaced. A new set of injectors were bought for a mk1 Focus RS as suggested by Big_Wasa

As you can see these are much thicker but are still the same length and fitment is the same so the original rail can be used. A 3.8 bar fuel pressure regulator is already on there too.

One of the problems i was going to come across is that the current engine revs to 7500+ rpm and to stop water pump cavitation an under drive crank pulley has been fitted to keep the water pump from spinning too fast. Problem is i need the crank pulley to be at its standard size to spin the blower at the required speed. So after a lot of searching i could not find an alloy replacement in standard size, so a new stock pulley was bought fro £21.

To keep the water pump from going too fast now i will drop the rev limit as the engine will produce the power at much lower rpm's once the blower is on.

Belt tensioner bought as the current setup uses the alternator bracket to tension the belt

New seal for the end of the blower nose along with new wood ruff key and nut. A new pulley is being made locally for me for the supercharger as the one that came with it was worn. must have come loose at some point. This will be here by the end of the week.

I have just won an AEM Water/meth kit on ebay and picking that up tomorrow.

All that's left now is to buy the megasquirt 2 kit and wide band lambda from extraEFI. this will be some time later in the month once they have the lambdas back in stock. A swirl pot will be needed too plus other bits and pieces.

big_wasa

posted on 18/9/18 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good call removing the alloy pulley. Alloy crank pulleys are really bad news on a Zetec. The crank nose flexes and shatters the oil pump. I am sure some one will tell you they have run them with no issue but do your home work and make your own mind up.
CraigJ

posted on 19/9/18 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i had read mixed reviews about that. I have no choice but to go back to standard anyway so no worries there.

More parts arriving. Found a water/meth kit on eBay with 5 gallon tank and won the auction. Was local too. Unfortunately I did’nt realise the controller was for much highee boost levels. Expensive mistake. This will end up back on eBay when the job is done.

So a quick google found a AEM kit from H-tune and was sent out next day delivery. Made sure it was the correct controller too.

Looking at HP fuel pumps at the moment. Any recommendations?

big_wasa

posted on 19/9/18 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I need one myself and the market is full of Chinese stuff that I would like to avoid.
CraigJ

posted on 19/9/18 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Only ones i looked at were AEM, snow performance, devils own and Aquamist. All good reviews.
big_wasa

posted on 20/9/18 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I should have said fuel pump.

I don't think I will need the water/ meth injection. I've got the static compression ratio down to 9:1 and I don't plan on more than 1 bar of boost.

CraigJ

posted on 20/9/18 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Currently looking at Bosch 044 pumps. About £140.00 good for up to 300bhp from what I have read.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.