Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Velosolex Motor Wanted - post 330
v8kid

posted on 3/9/18 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Velosolex Motor Wanted - post 330

Velo What!!

Ok I know its a long shot but someone may know someone who knows ........

I have a 1955 330 swan neck Velosolex moped just like the delivery ones in Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory and this model is not fitted with a clutch; I have to stall the engine via the decompression lever every time I stop and then pedal like F*** to start it again. All good fun on country roads but going through traffic lights in town its a real stress raiser.

Later models are fitted with a centrifugal clutch and its one of these engines I'm after. Condition immaterial as I have bearings, cylinders etc. etc. in my little spares box, as one has to have with French (or Brit come to that) machinery of this vintage.

So a complete engine or just the bottom half with the centrifugal clutch assembly would be fine and I'm happy to pay courier charges although postage from France is eye wateringly expensive. The most common engine is the 3800 (sadly named after the starting production no not the cc) but any of the 1010, 1400, 2200, 3300, or 3800 will do just fine I think.

I realise this is sacrilege to the vintage buffs but in my defence the bike already had 26" wheels, sturmey gears, electronic ignition and modern brakes when I bought it so its just a bit of usable fun really.

Cheers

David

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 3/9/18 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
You need to have a look on the Velosolexclubuk.com site, if you are not already a member.
It's quite refreshing to find a fellow weirdo, I run a 1968 3800.

v8kid

posted on 4/9/18 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Yup the site is down at the moment something to do with the Captcha AFAIK. I placed an ad but not sure if anyone can reply!!!

Don't fancy selling your engine do you

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 4/9/18 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of these still about in NL. Have a look on marktplaats.nl If needed, I can assist with shipping (i.e. you have it sent to me and I can forward it to you should a seller not want to post to the UK directly)

a 50x50x50cm box of 25kg looks to cost around 60 euros sent from here to London. Not too bad?

v8kid

posted on 4/9/18 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks i'll give it a go

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 4/9/18 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Yup the site is down at the moment something to do with the Captcha AFAIK. I placed an ad but not sure if anyone can reply!!!

Don't fancy selling your engine do you

Ha Ha, what would I do then?, seriously though, there is a chap on ebay called Triumphmartin1961 who regularly sells velo's and seems to get stuff from france, see if you can contact him.
Yes it seems that problem has been ongoing for a while with the captcha thing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.