Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance dramas
luke2152

posted on 19/9/18 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance dramas

As some of you know I was in an accident at end of June. I briefly posted the gopro footage on here before removing it. Here it is anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQhMi1PVVSI

Anyway I thought with footage like that things would get resolved pretty easily. The first part of the process was. My zero was written off and I got slightly more for it than I was expecting so from that point of view I really can't complain. The second part (getting the liability resolved so I can hopefully have my no claims bonus back and actually replace it with something fun) has gone nowhere after 3 months. I sent my insurance company the video 4 times - twice by email, twice by post on a CD and memory stick before it finally got to the relevant team. They said they are on it but I doubt they have even watched the video.

I also sent the video/photos etc to the 3rd party insurer. They also say they are investigating and wont give a time frame. They said the accident hadn't been reported by their client (to complicate things the other driver was driving a hire car). I also doubt they have watched the video.

Is it normal for this to take so long? Is there a governing body who I could complain to and try to get things sped up? Really frustrating.

miskit

posted on 19/9/18 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-insurance-fault-claims.html

Though i would have thought that the NCD was on your Daily and Kit car insurance usually works on no NCD - but I could be wrong.

[Edited on 19/9/18 by miskit]

luke2152

posted on 19/9/18 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miskit
Here you go
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-insurance-fault-claims.html

Though i would have thought that the NCD was on your Daily and Kit car insurance usually works on no NCD - but I could be wrong.

I'm not 100% how NCD works but my daily is a van and I don't think NCD is interchangable. I had no claims carried over on the kit car from my previous car even though it doesn't accrue on the kit car. Regardless would be very helpful to get situation sorted before I try to insure something else as my fun car wont be a kit car.

40inches

posted on 19/9/18 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
quote:
Here you go

I'm not 100% how NCD works but my daily is a van and I don't think NCD is interchangable. I had no claims carried over on the kit car from my previous car even though it doesn't accrue on the kit car. Regardless would be very helpful to get situation sorted before I try to insure something else as my fun car wont be a kit car.

No NCD on Kit Cars. Can take over a year to fully resolve, based on my experience of 3 no fault accidents
And also based on my experience, although this is a no fault claim, your premiums WILL go up

[Edited on 19-9-18 by 40inches]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 19/9/18 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
quote:
Here you go

No NCD on Kit Cars. Can take over a year to fully resolve, based on my experience of 3 no fault accidents
And also based on my experience, although this is a no fault claim, your premiums WILL go up

[Edited on 19-9-18 by 40inches]

^ He's right, you know. When you renew, you'll be asked if you've been involved in any accidents or claims within the past 5(?) years whether at fault or not - which you now have. Your insurer will state that "statistically speaking" you're a greater risk/more likely to be involved in a further accident as a result of this.

The wife's car was scraped in a carpark about 5 years ago, and we claimed on the other drivers insurance to have it repaired (bumper and rear quarter repaired and resprayed) after he apologised and admitted fault straight away. Protected NCD means we weren't affected in that respect, but we did have to declare it as a claim, and our premiums went up next year. I did argue that our car was stationary/parked, and neither of us were in the vehicle at the time, but they failed to take that into account.

Law unto themselves, insurance companies....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

jossey

posted on 19/9/18 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Take the car who caused the accident to court for the increased insurance fees. As mentioned even if you don't lose ye no claims your insurance will go up even when non fault. Takes the piss.

I had a car drive into my parked car in services and the next year I got quotes without mentioning the accident as it wasn't my fault and I had cctv etc to prove I wasn't even in the car. Tmwhen I said I had a non fault the quotes went up.

Same as them putting it up if you tell them you went on a speeding course. Wank*rs

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
OliilO

posted on 19/9/18 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if you've covered this before, but was the other driver trying to block your overtake or not paying attention? I imagine that wasn't an easy conversation to have straight afterwards...
luke2152

posted on 19/9/18 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
Sorry if you've covered this before, but was the other driver trying to block your overtake or not paying attention? I imagine that wasn't an easy conversation to have straight afterwards...

Their was a 3rd vehicle ahead and the other driver was attempting to overtake obviously without checking.

garyo

posted on 21/9/18 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Take the car who caused the accident to court for the increased insurance fees. As mentioned even if you don't lose ye no claims your insurance will go up even when non fault. Takes the piss.

As much as it seems unfair, it makes sense when you think about it. It's the principle of defensive driving: that just because something wasn't your fault doesn't mean you couldn't have avoided it or prevented it from happening through observation, predicting the actions of others, 'intution' etc. Don't look at it as being punished for something that wasn't your fault, think of it as drivers with good obs and defensive skills getting a marginal discount.

luke2152

posted on 21/9/18 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Oh well looks like based on replies I was expecting process to be quicker than it is. Guess I'll just have to be patient. And yes there was much to be learned from the accident (things I could have done differently or anticipated).
40inches

posted on 21/9/18 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyo
quote:

As much as it seems unfair, it makes sense when you think about it. It's the principle of defensive driving: that just because something wasn't your fault doesn't mean you couldn't have avoided it or prevented it from happening through observation, predicting the actions of others, 'intution' etc. Don't look at it as being punished for something that wasn't your fault, think of it as drivers with good obs and defensive skills getting a marginal discount.

That doesn't take into account accidents that are unavoidable, sat in a stationary car or in the wife's case sat in her office when her car was written of by 2 tons of steel falling from a lorry The insurance company raised her premium by £40 mid term

r1_pete

posted on 21/9/18 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
The insurance companies regard you as careless for having an accident of any type, which for a careless / poor etc. Driver is ok, but for the majority of drivers it does not reflect reality...

Lets say for argument, a careful, courteous driver could expect to have 1 accident per 10 years, if they have just had an accident, then laws of average would say they are unlikely to have another for 10 years, so a no blame for average Joe should reduce premium....

The insurace company logic is similar to saying you got the 1st lottery number correct, so the chance of getting the 2nd number correct are higher....

Protected ncd or not, premiums rise after a claim, so you just get max discount on a higher premium.... another con!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 22/9/18 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
The insurance companies regard you as careless for having an accident of any type, which for a careless / poor etc. Driver is ok, but for the majority of drivers it does not reflect reality...

Lets say for argument, a careful, courteous driver could expect to have 1 accident per 10 years, if they have just had an accident, then laws of average would say they are unlikely to have another for 10 years, so a no blame for average Joe should reduce premium....

The insurace company logic is similar to saying you got the 1st lottery number correct, so the chance of getting the 2nd number correct are higher....

Protected ncd or not, premiums rise after a claim, so you just get max discount on a higher premium.... another con!

It's like someone guessing whether you will win the lottery without knowing if you've bought a ticket. If you've won once, they know you have bought lottery tickets in the past, therefore you are more likely to buy one in the future than the average person.

The statistics add up, but unfortunately (for myself included, having been run into while stationary at a junction last month) it's not always in our favour.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.