Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Face mask for painting - results
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/9/18 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Face mask for painting - results

So painted Fiesta and this time took advice and got a good mask rather than the usual paper thing, holding my breath or just not bothering. Have to say the mask was almost magical literally could not smell a thing even when using panel wipe.

You can get a extra clip on filter to cover the actual mask ones which will help the mask last longer. The mask filters are not replaceable but are still performing very well and I've been using it in the loft working on the central heating system and feel vasty better for using it. I got the mask from screw fix for about £27, well worth the money.

This is an unusual paint actually for graffiti artists, a very thick acrylic almost textured finish very like a car wrap so I think the dust generated was even more noticeable than ever, or maybe its the colour...

^ it caught a lot of dust, glad I didn't breath that in...

^ this is the bag it comes in and is re-sealable for storing it, there are several versions with various prices, this is the organic volatiles one for paint spraying. The P3 at the end of the code indicates this.

^ now that is a lot of overspray... hopefully it will all hoover up

^ yeah its bright but the camera doesn't pick up just how bright this is

^ looks like a fancy wrap job but cost £40 perfect for a £300 car... oh and got those alloys to replace the steel ones last week for £80 complete with tyres with 8mm tread I just love budget motoring

[Edited on 19/9/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mash

posted on 19/9/18 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Looks pretty good Mate

So did you use a proper sprayer, or rattle cans?

What colour is it?

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/9/18 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
cheers, just cans, the colour is called Kenya Orange and the brand is MT Hardcore bought from graff-city
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 19/9/18 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
these screwfix JSP masks seem good too:

JSP mask on Screwfix

You can get replaceable filters, including organic filters.
I use mine with P3 filters for any dust creating tasks.
The filters are easy to breathe through and last for ages

[Edited on 19/9/18 by JonBowden]

Jon

theconrodkid

posted on 19/9/18 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
matte orange....like it

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

gremlin1234

posted on 19/9/18 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
is the inside of the mask now orange too?
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/9/18 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
is the inside of the mask now orange too?

No the mask is spotless inside and seals very well and is comfortable to wear for several hours. I did a lot looking through reviews all positive so decided on it plus it was recommended on here.

bi22le

posted on 19/9/18 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I recently used a complete suite of POR 51 products and all of them heavily recommend using full on masks. Due to this I bought a 3M proper 2 panel mask, it was not that expensive, probably £30 quid or so.

One long Friday night later I was thinking " this mask is not doing anything, if it was that bad my eyes would be watering" ( I had basic splash guard glasses on).

I stepped out of the garage and removed my mask. I could barely take a breath. The mix of chemicals and thinners was so strong, and yet I could not smell any of it.

I went inside to grab a drink and my wife commented on how strong the smell is on me and that she had to close the up stairs bedroom window of my daughter.

Those masks work very well

[Edited on 19/9/18 by bi22le]

[Edited on 20/9/18 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/9/18 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I was the same, taking the mask of outside the garage the smell hits you, its like WOW that's strong! Both my pairs of work boots were left outside and my clothes straight in the washing machine... Worrying thing is I've been spraying cars for years......
russbost

posted on 20/9/18 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
So did you honestly manage to do the whole car with just 12 rattle cans - I just can't believe it, I would have expected to use over half that on the roof & bonnet!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blue2cv

posted on 20/9/18 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Been using what we in trade call fly masks for years work well, last a fair while
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/9/18 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
So did you honestly manage to do the whole car with just 12 rattle cans - I just can't believe it, I would have expected to use over half that on the roof & bonnet!

Yes 12 400ml cans @ 60% paint 40% propellant so 2.8 ltrs of paint, that covered the inside the doors and tailgate too. A can can do a full door, two wings, tailgate or a half a bonnet, half a roof. It's a dense paint with good coverage. It was 8 cans to spray the Bluebird camo and 10 for the Volvo (big car lots of bodywork) but they were not done inside the doors etc as I could not be bothered...

Thought I'd do this one a bit better but it took vastly more time due to having to remove so much trim but I'm much happier with the result. All the dings and chips were sorted, then went over it with scotchbrite pads, 2 cans of Halfords grey primer, scotchbrite that and then spray the colour leave alone for 2 days, then rip masking off, put the trim back on and out for a rinse and admire the mess of my floor...

[Edited on 20/9/18 by Mr Whippy]

russbost

posted on 20/9/18 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
You're saying 60% paint, but surely that's 60% mixed paint/thinners if the other 40% is propellant?, hence that would make more like about 1 & 1/4 litres of paint, I'm still utterly gobsmacked that you've been able to do the whole car including shuts with that, it must give very good coverage indeed!

Well done!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mash

posted on 21/9/18 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting to note that this paint is designed for graffiti, presumably on brick/concrete, so it maybe does cover better.

I'd be interested to now how well it lasts, as i'm thinking of giving the van a respray (ex RAC Transit fading badly).

02GF74

posted on 21/9/18 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Interesting to note that this paint is designed for graffiti, presumably on brick/concrete, so it maybe does cover better.

That may be coincidental due the molecular coded additives. These are unique to each batch so that if the paint was used for illegal graffiti, it can be traced.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.