Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Heel and toe
pekwah1

posted on 19/9/18 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Heel and toe

Hi guys,

So I’ve been thinking about heel and toe, I don’t know why but I really struggle on the striker.
The pedals are obviously close together, so I have to wear small shoes, so can’t really cheat with the side of my foot, but just don’t feel like I can get any decent technique that works.

Who’s been able to heel and toe on their kit and any real world advice?

Thanks
Andy

AdamR20

posted on 19/9/18 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Where does your brake pedal sit in relation to the throttle when you're on full braking?
rusty nuts

posted on 19/9/18 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I can but I only have small feet
obfripper

posted on 19/9/18 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I tip my foot at an angle and use the side of my shoe on the accelerator while using the sole on the brake, and rest my heel against the inch box at the end of the footwell as a point of reference.
I have the accelerator level with the other pedals, and it only works with some shoes as they need to flex nicely to give some feel, without having to conscienciously think about foot placement.
I wear size 10's so the right shoes are a necessity in the striker footwell, it's impossible to drive any decent distance (or fast) with workboots or normal trainers.

Dave

pekwah1

posted on 19/9/18 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all,

My brake pedal is about level with the throttle pedal when braking, so sits proud when I’m not touching it.
Yes I have to wear puma racing shoes, they’re the only things my size 10-11 feet fit with!

sam919

posted on 20/9/18 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
I don’t think it’s a cheat with the side of your foot.?I have size 12 race boots and don’t have issues in the Caterham, it’s all done with the right hand side of the ball of my foot, but anything goes if you can blip the throttle. Heel and toe was around when you had older motors with large pedals I doubt they’d call it that now.

There must be some vids on YouTube to give you some ideas on methods used?

sam919

posted on 20/9/18 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
https://youtu.be/kzLjZWrpzmQ
AdamR20

posted on 20/9/18 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
Thanks all,

My brake pedal is about level with the throttle pedal when braking, so sits proud when I’m not touching it.
Yes I have to wear puma racing shoes, they’re the only things my size 10-11 feet fit with!

That sounds 'about' right - but 'about right' makes it tricky IME. You need to have the pedal setup spot on when learning or it becomes harder. You need to have confidence you can provide full braking without accidentally prodding the throttle too, but the throttle needs to be right there when you want it.

Personally I hate driving in racing shoes, they give such little feel, but if that's what you need to use because of your huge feet then so be it

Consider adjusting your pedals so the throttle and brake almost overlap - considering what I said above. You can see the extra bit on my throttle here (really old video, not very good technique but you get the idea). Without the extra plate it would be difficult to heel-toe well.

[Edited on 20/9/18 by AdamR20]

sam919

posted on 20/9/18 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
https://youtu.be/kzLjZWrpzmQ
pekwah1

posted on 21/9/18 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the pic, yeh that’s my problem is I need tiny shoes to drive the car, but find the gap between brake and throttle to big to use the side of my foot.

I’ll have a play with pedal position

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.