Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackbird engine instal
Broken_Brian

posted on 20/9/18 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Blackbird engine instal

Hi all I'm new here. Now that i have that out of the way i am looking for some info.

I am looking to use the now unfashionable blackbird engine in a tiger avon rolling chassis that i have for doing sprints h hillclimbs. I know of all the horror stiries of oil starvation h whatnot but they are cheap enough engines.
The main problem i can see is the hydraulic clutch & the sprocket cover it bolts to are going to be in the way of the propshaft. I have a rough idea of how to get around this but i am just looking to see what other ways have been used whrn the blackbird engine was more commonly used.

Thanks.

Brian.

Brian Wilson

tilly819

posted on 20/9/18 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
My first attempt at solving this problem was to machine a prop shaft spacer. Image below. Would Not recommend.

Second solution after that one broke a propshaft was a simple inline slave cylinder and a bracket that used the existing mounting holes. It was a tight fit but worked perfectly well. Don't have a picture of that though sadly..

Cheers
Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Broken_Brian

posted on 20/9/18 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Now that looks quite neat. Any idea why it caused the prop to fail? I was thinking of a longer custom made flange (after all the guys that make them must surely be able to make a longer version). I was also going to move the position of the banjo bolt to the back of the slave cylinder freeing up some space at the side. That would only work if there is enough metal to put a thread on.
I like your gear change setup looks nice and simple. How do you find the cable setup, does it have any slop or is it positive? I was trying to work out how to do it with link rods.

What type of slave cylinder did you use on the mk2 setup?

Brian Wilson

tilly819

posted on 20/9/18 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think it was play in the splines on the sprocket to prop adaptor which then set off a harmonic downstreem in the prop since the flange was spaced off by so much the play was significantly amplified.

I think i just went on ebay and found one that looked like it might fit. cant remember what it was though sadly. It was a long time ago.

Cable shift worked great, really positive feeling. I will have to check in workshop but I might still have the cable if you want it.

Cheers

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Broken_Brian

posted on 20/9/18 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ah right looked quite neat too.

Well i shall have a nose on ebay to see what i can come up with. Is a bit of time away before i will be doing engine fitting.

That would be great if you do but no rush.

Brian

Brian Wilson

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/9/18 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Not a Blackbird, but here's my solution for a GSXR750/1000 which sounds very much like the solution mentioned above.

Inline FF cylinder (Merlin Motorsport etc.), fabricated brackets. Cleared the propshaft flanges, worked really well.

Rescued attachment Hydraulic.jpg
Rescued attachment Hydraulic.jpg

blue2cv

posted on 21/9/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield did a conversion look in my pics archive you should be able to see, got westfield shallow sump on mine too, i cant seem to be able to post pic

[Edited on 21/9/18 by blue2cv]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.