Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help - BMW1600ti to buy or not to buy????
pewe

posted on 21/9/18 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Help - BMW1600ti to buy or not to buy????

Whilst on holiday Italian friends took me to the underground car-park where their late grandfather's late 60's/early70's 1600ti has been dry stored for 25+ years.
It's one owner, done >100k, fully serviced in the day and apart from running around town was used for "long" trips to the family holiday home 100k's away every summer!
It looks pretty original - even has a period Haynes manual in the glove box.
Sadly it wasn't possible to see if it still runs, the coolant level in the rad is below the top of the tubes so may or may not have coolant/cooling issues.
There's some light rust visible in the boot where the floor joins the wing otherwise it looked very original and I suspect any other rust is likely to be surface.
I'm conscious of potential issues with brakes, injection, engine generally and bodywork as I gather they weren't rustproofed. Also the rubber bonnet seal has age hardened and perished. This beggars the question as to what other rubber seals and gaskets are like.

So here's the question - what should I bid them on it?
I don't want to overbid but there again being friends I don't want them to feel insulted.

I'm aware pristine ones when they come up fetch very significant money but one that's a non-runner and been stored for years??

Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

TIA, Pewe10

PS I've already looked at transport back to the UK - good old Shiply Transport look most competitive.

theconrodkid

posted on 21/9/18 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Peter, i used to look after one of these, they are very basic, not a fantastic drive but were in my opinion better built than a lot of the later stuff, as you point out could be worth a fair bit, parts were still available from BMW at reasonable prices, as for what to bid, no idea but maybe look at a decent one and half it ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jps

posted on 21/9/18 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewebeing friends I don't want them to feel insulted.

Personally if it were friends I'd ask what they wanted as a starting point then go from there. It's much easier to drive a hard bargain if you're not bothered about the ongoing relationship!

r1_pete

posted on 21/9/18 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Is the engine similar to the 2002ti?

Wheeler dealers did a 2002 which had been looked after but idle for 17 years, can’t remember what they paid, but it needed a fuel metering unit rebuild due to dried out seals, the other work they did would give you an idea.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 21/9/18 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
Peter, i used to look after one of these, they are very basic, not a fantastic drive but were in my opinion better built than a lot of the later stuff, as you point out could be worth a fair bit, parts were still available from BMW at reasonable prices, as for what to bid, no idea but maybe look at a decent one and half it ?

Thanks for that, John.
Problem is there's one for sale in Belgium at c£30k. others in the States at c.£22k but those are pristine.
I have to say my inclination is to offer £5k and go from there as you can always go up on a bid.
I sense they don't have the time/inclination to re-commission it, plus I'm not desperate for more wheels on the drive!
I do like it's simplicity and it should qualify for lots of classic events (incl. GP Nuvolari - I wish!).
Cheers, P.

nick205

posted on 21/9/18 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by pewebeing friends I don't want them to feel insulted.

Personally if it were friends I'd ask what they wanted as a starting point then go from there. It's much easier to drive a hard bargain if you're not bothered about the ongoing relationship!

Have to agree, if it's friends you're dealing with then I'd ask them for their expected price to get a start point. No point upsetting things offering to low or indeed (for you) offering too high. From experience rubber parst on older cars do dry out/perish and replacements (if available) aren't always cheap to source.

pewe

posted on 21/9/18 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Good points all round guys.
Thanks - much appreciated.
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers, Pewe10

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/9/18 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
question is do you really want it to sink a heap of time and money into a car you've never seen before and has no real sentimental value? unless you had your heart in getting one I'd leave it be and let some else have all the hassle

tbh 5k for an old non runner that was nothing great when it was new seems a bit excessive, all cars get old doesn't mean they are worth buying cos of that.

I'd go by what anyone else would pay for the stupid thing in it's condition and yeah it's may be relatives, hell I have loads of those. Yeah it maybe worth a bit once fixed up but I'm wouldn't pay over the odds just cos of that.

Offer them 800 for this old banger, it's not even your relatives car it was their late grandfather's so why should they make a heap for it?? Mind that once you've replaced all the knackered bits, got all the chrome plated and found all those almost impossible to source parts, welded it back together, repainted you'll probably only make back a few thousand if your lucky.

Personally I'd spend my 5k + (unknown quantity) on a decent car that actually works...

[Edited on 21/9/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 21/9/18 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't one of the classic magazine's list car prices?

If it's a car you've always wanted then offer away. If it's not offer what you're prepared to write off if it turns to scrap.

pewe

posted on 21/9/18 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
question is do you really want it to sink a heap of time and money into a car you've never seen before and has no real sentimental value? unless you had your heart in getting one I'd leave it be and let some else have all the hassle

tbh 5k for an old non runner that was nothing great when it was new seems a bit excessive, all cars get old doesn't mean they are worth buying cos of that.

I'd go by what anyone else would pay for the stupid thing in it's condition and yeah it's may be relatives, hell I have loads of those. Yeah it maybe worth a bit once fixed up but I'm wouldn't pay over the odds just cos of that.

Offer them 800 for this old banger, it's not even your relatives car it was their late grandfather's so why should they make a heap for it?? Mind that once you've replaced all the knackered bits, got all the chrome plated and found all those almost impossible to source parts, welded it back together, repainted you'll probably only make back a few thousand if your lucky.

Personally I'd spend my 5k + (unknown quantity) on a decent car that actually works...

[Edited on 21/9/18 by Mr Whippy]

Mr Whippy I applaud your take on things especially this one!

MikeR, good point about the classic mags I'll drop into my local Smiths tomorrow.
The problem then is it's not something I'd normally even consider but across the years cars and bikes seem to have dropped into my lap and I think every one has been a source of entertainment.
However the older I get the less I'm inclined to get down and dirty so something which potentially doesn't require too much fettling if it comes at the right price is quite appealing.
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.