Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wide Arches and Wheel Spacers
chrisbmxr

posted on 26/9/18 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wide Arches and Wheel Spacers

So, last week I finally managed to find some 13” TD Pro Races for my Indy. It’s been on 15” copies since I bought it and I’ve been wanting to move to 13’s since!

So I fitted them but the offsets weren’t quite right as you can see in the image below. I do however love the wider stance they’ve given the car!

The front wings aren’t an issue as I will fit new ones over the new wheels, but the rear arches are a little more troublesome.
The car is fitted with the standard 280mm MK rear arches at the moment, so I was looking to move to the wide arches which are 345mm (65mm wider). As you can see they will overhang the wheels considerably!

Would I be OK to run spacers on the rears to bring the wheels nearly flush with the arch edge again?

Thanks

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/9/18 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I run 5mm spacers on the fronts to centralise the wheels, make sure your wheel studs are long enough to provide enough threads you need about 8 turns.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

tajgreidotu

posted on 27/9/18 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
As far as i understand the OP wants a spacer in between the rear arches and the body, so the arches fit the ET of the tyres.

I might have the same issue, once I bolt everything. I have been thinking on making a rubber template with the same arch pattern, so it works as a spacer.

Let me know what you come up with!

jps

posted on 28/9/18 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tajgreidotu
As far as i understand the OP wants a spacer in between the rear arches and the body, so the arches fit the ET of the tyres.

I might have the same issue, once I bolt everything. I have been thinking on making a rubber template with the same arch pattern, so it works as a spacer.

Let me know what you come up with!

I read it the other way round. He's going to fit arches which are 65mm wider. That pic is his current arch with the new wheel, but going with an arch 65mm wider will mean the arch overhangs the wheel by a fair bit. So he then wants to space the wheels out to 'fill' the arches better.

I was under the impression that deviating a long way from wheel offset was no ideal as it shifted the strain on the hub, but don't know what is reasonable tolerance or whether the fact of kits being a lot lighter than the original applicaiton gives a lot of latitude?

big-vee-twin

posted on 28/9/18 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
What he ^^^^^ said.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.