Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Light Weight Lithium Battery - 900 grams!!! Anyone tried one?
M@rk

posted on 5/10/18 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Light Weight Lithium Battery - 900 grams!!! Anyone tried one?

Hey guys

Looking to shed weight and figured aside from cutting out the pies, the battery may be a good saving. I've seen this battery on eBay, says it's only 900 grams! Downsides seem to be bad cold weather performance as it's lithium and also they advise against using the usual suspects for battery conditioners, which is a pain. But 900grams!!!

Anyone tried one or opinions? Anything similar I should look at?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-G650-X-challenge-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Light-Weight-Save-2-16kg-2007-2008/171661041018

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/10/18 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
is your cars alternator designed to manage and charge lithium batteries or lead... I can see it having quite a short life

ok seems they have built in charging circuity so yeah why not...

[Edited on 5/10/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
M@rk

posted on 5/10/18 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Although 500 grams!!! And suitable for the CBR1000rr, allegedly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR1000-RR-Lightweight-Lithium-Ion-Battery-YTZ7S-2-Year-Warranty-525gram/381406664608?epid=2071930404&hash=item58 cd9bd7a0:g:tHoAAOSwEetV-uOD

fregis

posted on 5/10/18 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mate running lithium moto battery in car for two years or longer, still no prob.

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

AdamR20

posted on 6/10/18 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ran one on a 1.8 Zetec for over 2 years, no issues. Bought another for latest build (CBR1000).
M@rk

posted on 12/10/18 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of saving a nice chunk of weight, however, I'm concerned about the blades charging circuit and extreme low cranking speed - if the engine doesn’t fire first hit it will flood - the blade uses iridium spark plugs that cost £128 a set and once fouled that’s it - we are talking engines with compression ratios of over 12-1 they make car engines seem very tame.

We are also dealing with a diode bridge reg rectifier which in all bike installs is the weakest link and they don’t react well to overcharging, when they blow they fail in two ways:

1) open circuit - battery just goes flat.
2) closed circuit everything gets hit with 80 volts - the end result of this is usually a blown ecu, sensors etc which is a pain, but stick 80 volts into a lithium battery and boom.

For now, I've decided to take the safe option and stick with a light weight, standard battery. But will keep an eye out on peoples experiences with them, particularly in BEC and again, with later model Blade engines.

I wonder if there is a solution that would prevent the battery receiving over a set amount of volts? That's the biggest worry for me.

AdamR20

posted on 12/10/18 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I am not great with electronics - but - what about a fuse? Resistance won't change I assume, so if voltage goes up it will blow due to increased current? Then a voltage readout on the dash so you can see if it's gone open circuit.

IIRC the fuel pump self-regulates so it won't keep firing fuel in if the engine doesn't start, Andy Bates would know for sure though!

[Edited on 12/10/18 by AdamR20]

coyoteboy

posted on 12/10/18 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by M@rk
the blade uses iridium spark plugs that cost £128 a set and once fouled that’s it

Really? Re-used iridiums that had been fouled literally tens of times on my car when I started from no base maps or cranking info. Blast under the blowtorch and it's as good as new.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 12/10/18 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by M@rk
the blade uses iridium spark plugs that cost £128 a set and once fouled that’s it

Really? Re-used iridiums that had been fouled literally tens of times on my car when I started from no base maps or cranking info. Blast under the blowtorch and it's as good as new.

Really??
I´d like to know more..
Or is it as simple as it seems..??

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.