Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fibreglass Question
myke pocock

posted on 24/10/18 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass Question

My Locost has wings that originally came direct from Ron Champion. They are poor quality and I have been unable to get good wings of the correct narrow width. I have acquired a pair of wings in very good condition but they are 1 1/2" too wide and i dont want to fit them and add wheel spacers.
My thought is this. Cut them to the right width, using a flat board covered with polythene sheet, I will secure the wings down firmly to it then create a new lip using chopped strand mat and resin in 2" wide strips running from the inner wing on to the board and overlapping each bit right round the wing. I recon it will need 4 layers to get a good lip and strength. Does that sound the right way to go?

Oddified

posted on 24/10/18 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds fine to me, another option for one off things made in fibre glass is use brown packing tape on the mould (or sheet in your case), it doesn't move around like a polythene sheet and releases perfectly.

Ian

coyoteboy

posted on 24/10/18 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Making a lip seems hard, why not cut a band out the middle?

Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/10/18 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

An wavy line would be less prone to cracking.
Although more difficult to cut as you should cut both halves paralel.
HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 25/10/18 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I made mine, as per the book, and there a perfect fit

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

iant88

posted on 25/10/18 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Make moulds from the original wings and make a new pair. Use the moulds to make new pairs to sell on and to make new for yourself if you ever damage one.
rusty nuts

posted on 25/10/18 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I widened my rear wings , just cut along the cEnter line and laid matting between the two halves, been OK for 12 years or more. Reducing the width shouldn't be any different.
jacko

posted on 25/10/18 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
cut the lip off then cut 40mm off and bond the lip back on the inside a little bit of filler on the out side bobs your uncle
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mike Wood

posted on 25/10/18 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mike

Yes, use old wings to make a mould and then make up a new set from the mould you have just made. Need to make sure the old set has surface imperfections filled so mould is smooth. Don't forget to apply a release agent, e.g. Simoniz car wax, on the mould before laminating. 3 or 4 layers of chopped strand glass mat (CSM) with polyester resin should do.

I am almost tempted to say post them and I'll make you a set (but no time at the moment and the weather is heading down towards under 10 degrees C which IIRC is the min grp laminating temp).

Depending on how bad the originals are could also repair them using laminations of glass tissue and polyester resin. Use 80 grade paper disc on angle grinder at very low angle to produce a very very very very shallow angle almost flat V when sorting cracks.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Wood

posted on 25/10/18 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Or post on the racing forum for a correct width set as I think 750MC Locosts still use 5 inch wide wheels.

Cheers
Mike

Hugh Paterson

posted on 20/11/18 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cut to the correct width Single layer of release wax on an mdf or bit of conti board glue the wing on with spots from a hot glue gun add 2- or 3 layers of 350gsm to create new flanges. If u get stuck send em to me and will job em for u I’m in Glasgow and have moulds for 3 styles of rear wings in a variety of widths material costs are minor postage would be more we buy a ton of resin a week!
AlexXtreme

posted on 22/11/18 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I would definitely just down the middle or even better at the start of one of the radii to main the edge which will be more difficult to replicate afterwards.
Do the repair on the inside with say 3 x 300csm and then a minor gel coat repair on the outside. Make sure the surfaces and clean and activate with a acetone wipe before laminating to ensure a good bond

Barksavon

posted on 22/11/18 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wood
Mike

Yes, use old wings to make a mould and then make up a new set from the mould you have just made

Cheers
Mike

What would you make the mould with....
Thanks
Ian

Hugh Paterson

posted on 25/11/18 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Gelcoat polyester resin and chopped strand mat
02GF74

posted on 25/11/18 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

That's the easiest way, no need to spend time making moulds.

mark chandler

posted on 25/11/18 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting a wavy line is ten way to go, nice deep ones, 2" wide.

If you just cut a band you will struggle to hide thee join, wavy lines blend in and are much stronger.

I went the other way and widened my nose cone by 1"

Rescued attachment Finished_front_9dec2006.JPG
Rescued attachment Finished_front_9dec2006.JPG

[Edited on 25/11/18 by mark chandler]

AlexXtreme

posted on 25/11/18 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
That is why I suggested cutting the join next to the radius... the gel repair much less visible.
Not worth making a new mould! Have "cut and shut" many boats in a similar manor from little 30' storm damaged pleasure boats to round the world race boats!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.