Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY help with a shower extractor fan please
nick205

posted on 1/11/18 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
DIY help with a shower extractor fan please

Morning all,

We have a windolwess show room, fitted with an Xpelair DX200T extractor fan. The fan's powered by the lighting circuit and comes on when the light is switched on. When the light is switched off the fan continues to run for approximately 5 minutes on a timer. The Shower room was built around 12 months ago and the fan was brand new when fitted.

The fan had worked fine, but now seems to run fast/slow/fast/slow when the light is switched on. When the light is switched off the fan just runs fast for the timed 5 mins then stops as it should.

A new fan unit is around £100. Whilst I'm happy fitting a new one myself I'm not happy spending £100 when I suspect there may be an underlying problem with the electric supply to the fan itself.

My first thought was to remove the light bulbs from the 2 down lights in the shower room. After investigation of the Aurora down lights you can't remove the bulbs. If the LEDs fail you have to replace the actual light fitting itself. A weekend task will be to disconnect the light fittings and see how the fan runs with now lights drawing current.

In the meantime does anyone have any experience on this kind of thing and any suggestions to try?

Thanks,
Nick

https://www.xpelair.co.uk/91014aw-premier-dx200t-fan-220-240v-50hz

[Edited on 1/11/18 by nick205]

JeffHs

posted on 1/11/18 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
My fan (not the same make but wired in the same way) has packed up all together after running erratically for a few months. There's no problem with my electricity supply. I think it's due to dirt and a failed bearing. Have you tried cleaning yours? The blurb says it comes to bits for easy cleaning. It didn't fix mine though.
nick205

posted on 1/11/18 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
^^^

I've had the cover off and removed and washed the plastic fan part. There was no dirt to speak off and cleaning it's made no difference.

geoff82

posted on 1/11/18 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Xpelair

Have you tried Screwfix Expelair dx200ts £36.99
Myke 2463

posted on 1/11/18 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
From advert on Amazon......... The efficient and stylish DX200T Premier Centrifugal Extract Fan with Timer Delay is designed specifically for domestic applications, The product has a 2 year manufacturer’s guarantee.

[Edited on 1/11/18 by Myke 2463]

Be Lucky Mike.

nick205

posted on 1/11/18 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by geoff82
Have you tried Screwfix Expelair dx200ts £36.99

Just searched the Screwfix website, but can't see an Xpelair DX200TS on there.

Can you post a link to it please?

Thanks,
Nick

nick205

posted on 1/11/18 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
From advert on Amazon......... The efficient and stylish DX200T Premier Centrifugal Extract Fan with Timer Delay is designed specifically for domestic applications, The product has a 2 year manufacturer’s guarantee.

[Edited on 1/11/18 by Myke 2463]

Thank you!

On the hunt now for the builders details (he supplied and fitted) so I can call him and follow up.

knight19770

posted on 1/11/18 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Don't bother checking the other electrics as the fan would not work at all if there was a problem with the supply. A lot of the fast with the humidistats run fast or slow depending on how much damp there is in the area. Check the settings in the fan as they can be adjusted to suit your needs.

Mike

gremlin1234

posted on 1/11/18 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
xpelair catalogue/brochure is available at
http://www.redringxpelair.com/assets/xpelair/brochures/Xpelair-Ventilation-Guide.pdf

I used to like the yellow ones with the red wheels
but now I'm an ex-tractor fan

nick205

posted on 2/11/18 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies gents.

When one of the kids used the shower last night I switched the fan back on (it's got an isolator switch outside the room door).

The fan seemed to come on at full speed when the light was switched on and ran at full speed until the timer switched it off after the light had been off for 5 minutes.

gremlin1234 - downloaded the PDF in your link and will have a further read over the weekend. Thanks for this.

[Edited on 2/11/18 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.