Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Variation in 'pattern' Ford clutch parts?
jps

posted on 20/11/18 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Variation in 'pattern' Ford clutch parts?

I'd been hoping to fit a new clutch to my Type 3 gearbox/Pinto. It had a clutch in it which I don't suppose is the original one from the Ford factory.

Based on the VRM (and comparing with the one I removed) Eurocarparts provided me with a clutch kit that has an identical pressure plate and a clutch release bearing which is dimensionally the same (but has slightly different design in the bearing face and the retaining clips). But the friction plate is not quite the same - the central splined boss is a few mm thinner (diameter and spline count is OK) and offset a few mm differently from the one i've removed.

Is some degree of variation in replacement clutch plates normal? Given it's only a few mm difference do I just take it up when re-tensioning the clutch pedal?

The Haynes manual mentions a 'low lift' clutch (I assume this meant less pedal movement to disengage and was therefore a differently shaped replacement for the factory fit item?). Might this be what i've got?

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/11/18 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
What make? I am always very fussy about clutch quality. And don't be fooled by the current Borg and Beck stuff, it is just cheap nasty stuff with the B&B label stuck on it (just as lucas only make boxes and stickers)

AP, LUK and others are decent. Many are not.

jps

posted on 20/11/18 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
What make? I am always very fussy about clutch quality. And don't be fooled by the current Borg and Beck stuff, it is just cheap nasty stuff with the B&B label stuck on it (just as lucas only make boxes and stickers)

The one I have is AISIN. It was the only thing Eurocarparts listed against the VRM that actually had the right diameter friction plate and the right diamter/spline centre boss.

I have started to think about it because one of the retaining clips from the clutch release bearing snapped off as I tried to fit it. So Eurocarparts got me in a new kit against the same part number - but it turned up in a Valeo box marked 'Capri' and with a noticeably different sized release bearing and different (again) offset and size to the centre boss in the friction plate...

I assume the Valeo kit was for a type2 gearbox (that was used on 4 speed Capris I think) that got labelled up incorrectly - but it all set me wondering...

[Edited on 20/11/18 by jps]

rusty nuts

posted on 21/11/18 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Try your local motor factor . If your branch of ECP is anything like the one in Cambridge the staff are muppets constantly sending out the wrong parts or even worse boxes that had obviously been opened which had the wrong parts in because they didn't check returns , even to the point of old parts being in the boxes . This would happen every order with them so not isolated incidents. I once went in and ordered a Loctite interior mirror kit only to be asked by Kermit for the reg number and being told they couldn't supply without it.
snapper

posted on 21/11/18 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
If it’s only the splined center that is different then it makes no difference whatsoever as it just sits in the void of the clutch cover and the flywheel.

The clutch bearing release face depends on the clutch cover fingers pattern, usually bent fingers use a flat face and flat fingers use a rounded face.

If you have bought a clutch kit then the 3 bits should work together.

You may be over thinking this a bit

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MikeR

posted on 21/11/18 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ecp tends to do a few versions of the same product, the cheapest are made of of chocolate. Always go for a proper brand if you have the choice.
jps

posted on 22/11/18 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
If it’s only the splined center that is different then it makes no difference whatsoever as it just sits in the void of the clutch cover and the flywheel.

The clutch bearing release face depends on the clutch cover fingers pattern, usually bent fingers use a flat face and flat fingers use a rounded face.

If you have bought a clutch kit then the 3 bits should work together.

You may be over thinking this a bit

Ok - thanks - I don't have any real experience to draw on having not really done any car maintainence before I started on this project!

mcerd1

posted on 22/11/18 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

^^ what he said

BTW the std. 215mm LUK one for the 2.0 pinto is good for all but the silliest tuned pinto's - no need to buy the fancy uprated ones

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.