Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Jacking marks for tyre fitters
Slimy38

posted on 24/11/18 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Jacking marks for tyre fitters

I probably know the answer to this already, but does anyone put any jacking point marks on their car for the Kwik fitters of the world to know where to jack their cars up without going through the floor?

The answer I'm expecting is 'I would never take my kit car to a tyre fitters in the first place', but just in case someone does actually trust a tyre fitter enough to have a tyre fitted on their car I thought I'd ask.

(And I should mention that I don't even trust tyre fitters with my tintop, I'll always take loose wheels to them if possible).

ianhurley20

posted on 24/11/18 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
After my wifes Punto got a crushed sump when having her front tyres fitted (not noticed at the time I'm afraid) I would go with your last sentence (tintop as well)

big_wasa

posted on 24/11/18 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
It’s not just tyres, when I took mine in for mot and the tester asked where he could jack the front to check for play in the steering.
obfripper

posted on 24/11/18 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I quite regularly see cars that have been to "fast fit" places for tyres and were left with damaged sills, undertrays and even damaged suspension due to a lack of observation by someone more worried about bonus than care of the vehicle they're working on.
It would be advised to find someone who is mechanically sympathetic and would bother to use jacking points to start with, but their ramp configuration may affect what points are reachable - there should be enough alternative points on a kitcar chassis to work around this.

Dave

rusty nuts

posted on 24/11/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
You can't get thicker than a Quick fit fitter!
slingshot2000

posted on 25/11/18 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

^^LIKE^^

steve m

posted on 25/11/18 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I am in the camp, of taking the wheels off the car at home, as wouldn't trust any tyre place with my sportscar, also I doubt
there huge trolley jack would go under my car anyway

My Mondeo, I trust the tyre place that I use, so its not a problem

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 25/11/18 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
High end cars with bonded aluminium floor pans get written off because of this, little Aston Martin V8V Vantages are very suceprible as the box section gets crushed... One idot reduces your car to scrap
perksy

posted on 25/11/18 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't get into my usual kit car friendly MOT place once and had to take it somewhere else

It was pretty obvious from the start that they hadn't tested a kit before as he wanted to test the emissions on a Q plate
I chose to stay with the car while they tested it and showed them where they could and couldn't jack it for testing

If i hadn't of stayed with it gowd knows what would have happened

rf900rush

posted on 25/11/18 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
It was no problem

Take the wheel off and take round to my local NOT quickfit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
J666AYP

posted on 25/11/18 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
After Kwick-bodge cost me a sump pan and sill repairs on my 5 series I would never go somewhere like that again.

Now I either take the wheels to them or seek out a decent family run garage.

Jay

snapper

posted on 26/11/18 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
It’s pretty simple
Get out of your car and say “I’ll show where to Jack the car, don’t lift it till I’m happy”

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/11/18 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
The local tyre supermarket type place point blank refused to jack my car up. This was reassuring, it demonstrated that some outfits do worry about jacking things up.
Car in question had long since lost any structure around the jacking points, and any structure that wasn't 30cm away from a 'sensitive' area. There absence of a rear window (the frame had corroded, it fell out) didn't inspire them with either as they went to 'check' the rear wiper...£

I only ever take loose wheels to these type of folk, the above was an emergency pull-in, solved with a can of Tyreweld from the adjacent supermarket since no elevation of the vehicle was possible at the tyre folk's premises.

If it was me, loose wheels only, period.

nick205

posted on 26/11/18 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Not a fan of Kwik Fit and TBH wouldn't trust them to know where to jack a car safely or even where to find out before jacking.

I've use a local tyre fitters (Micheldever) all my driving life and never had an issue with tin tops.

I took my MK Indy there once and the operator did ask where to jack it and followed my instructions to the letter - quite happy.

Other than that I'd remove the wheels and take them to a fitters for new tyres.

Slimy38

posted on 26/11/18 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
So the general consensus is exactly as expected, basically avoid the situation in the first place!!

I'm also glad I'm not the only one to do it for the tintop too, my friends think I'm odd to go through the effort of taking loose wheels. Especially when I'm doing a set of four and have to get the entire car off the floor.

Interesting thought about the MOT though, but I guess the average MOT guy is a bit more savvy than a tyre monkey. I do trust my local MOT tester, I was going to book an hour of his time to go over the car once it's built (if it ever gets built!!).

Edit: Oh yeah, and avoid Kwik fit completely!! Yep, I agree with that sentiment too, loose wheels or not!

[Edited on 26/11/18 by Slimy38]

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/11/18 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I once gave a kwik fit guy a telling off who was about to jack my Bluebird up right on the sill flange, his response was he jacks all cars up there, what an idiot. Didn't even have a pad or anything on the jack either and as far as I'm concerned just didn't want to have to lay down and have a look under the car. Some garages try to keep the owners out of the workshop but if you state right at the start you want to supervise where the car is being jacked up they can either say yes or no and if no go somewhere else.

I've helped out fitters while they fit my tires and even helped during MOT's operating the controls for my kit cars so if they don't want you there, they've probably got something to hide...

[Edited on 26/11/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 26/11/18 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
You'd not believe how many mates I've had to bollock for standing on the exhaust as they try to get in! Seriously I'm not fussy,stand on the side,the seat,the tunnel,forward roll over the cage, but dont stand on that red hot shiny pipe hanging off a little rubber bobbin!
steve m

posted on 26/11/18 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

Been there ! and she had a nice pair of shoes on as well, that went all blobby over my HOT exhaust , and her heel !!!

thankfully she was pissed,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 27/11/18 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Lol..

I do what most people do on here.But also I get the tyre I want online not the dodgy over priced crap they try to sell you at the fitters I take two at a time to the fanchised fitters.
Then there's tyre fitting places I have gone for a price to fit the tyres in the past. where the fitters have fitted the balance weights on the outside of alloy wheels not the inside on other people alloys that I had seen there when waiting for a price.I just leave the your not fitting my tyres

That shows lack of training in the first place

This is what I have been doing for years for my every day car & I will be doing the same on my kit cars when they need doing

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.