Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help needed with 2 pin alternator plug
J666AYP

posted on 27/11/18 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Help needed with 2 pin alternator plug

Hi gents,

Having a real nightmate with my 2 pin alternator plug. The google experts are showing that one pin is for the battery light on dash, fair enough...

But they are showing the 2nd pin as being fed back to the battery or a live?

Also can anyone tell me what pin is what from the photo? In the middle of making my loom and dont want to be cutting plugs at a later date.

Cheers, Jay.

theconrodkid

posted on 27/11/18 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=321249

half way down the page

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

tims31

posted on 27/11/18 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Looks the same wiring as mine, Type 1

See this Description
Description

You can get the correct plug that clips and locks into the housing, CBS do them but I bought mine from elsewhere a lot cheaper, I'll see if I can found out from where
'Found it:
HTH

[Edited on 27/11/18 by tims31]https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1329/category/258

[Edited on 27/11/18 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

J666AYP

posted on 27/11/18 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers gents. So the switched live running from fusebox to altenator.... is that a live signal going to the alt, or power coming from it to feed the fusebox?

Jay

ragindave

posted on 28/11/18 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hello it is an ignition/ switched live feeding the alternator.
It switches the alternator on with out it the alternator will not charge.

nick205

posted on 28/11/18 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
My alternator had the same setup and worked perfectly well with crimped spade connectors on the wiring loom.

(MK Indy with a 2.0 Pinto engine and a Kubota alternator my dad kindly fetched from his work)

mikeb

posted on 28/11/18 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm just upgrading to the denso type alternators from the old sierra alternator (type 6 in the diagram).
For my wiring I only had two wires the main charge wire back the battery and the ignition light ( the W connector was not connected).

Can I run the denso type on just two wires if so which ones or do I need wire in another switched live?
Thanks

M

tims31

posted on 28/11/18 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
As stated above you need the switched live to get the alternator to charge/work. I stand to be corrected but I think that 'excites' the generator so it will work or on some that is the lamp line.
If the alternator has three connections then you MUST connect all three or you could damage it. Just wire up as per the diagram, should take much to run a switched live from your fusebox.

[Edited on 28/11/18 by tims31]

J666AYP

posted on 28/11/18 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers gents, all wired up now.

Jay

starterman

posted on 28/11/18 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
As stated above you need the switched live to get the alternator to charge/work. I stand to be corrected but I think that 'excites' the generator so it will work or on some that is the lamp line.
If the alternator has three connections then you MUST connect all three or you could damage it. Just wire up as per the diagram, should take much to run a switched live from your fusebox.

You don't need to connect all three all the time. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing !!!!

tims31

posted on 29/11/18 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starterman
quote:
Originally posted by tims31

You don't need to connect all three all the time. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing !!!!

I was just going by other posts I had read that advised if there were three then it was best to wire them all up rather than not and causing damage.

Can you explain why and expand on my knowledge?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.