Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pipe flaring kit
LBMEFM

posted on 2/12/18 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pipe flaring kit

I wanted to make up some brake pipes, not prepared to wait I called into Halfords, something I hate doing, I bought an imperial brake pipe flaring kit for £25. The type that has two sections that clamp together and grip the pipe, you then wind a clamp and dye into the end and it should compress the end into a flare. However,got home inserted a 3/16" into the appropriate hole and it would not grip the pipe. Took it back and given a refund then looked up then on internet and identical kits start at £9.99. That's why I hate rip off Halfords, anyway where can I buy a cheap flaring kit that works.
J666AYP

posted on 3/12/18 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Got mine on amazon prime. Brought it at 9pm and it was at my door the next morning.

Jay

LBMEFM

posted on 3/12/18 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, does it work alright and how much was it?
nick205

posted on 3/12/18 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used my Dad's kit when building my MK Indy. Did the whole job fine without any leakes. Don't know what the tool cost though.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 3/12/18 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I found that the kits pictured above tend to work well for copper pipes, but I've never had much luck with the kunifer (copper nickel) pipe that I now use. I instead forked out and bought a vice-mounted "lever arm" type that works much better. However, it's only really good when you're making pipework up off the vehicle, as you can't use it under the car.

If you're prepared to spend a few more pennies, I would recommend THIS type of tool for in-situ applications.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

ianhurley20

posted on 3/12/18 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've used most types over the years but about a year ago found this type

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Professional-situ/dp/B01009L9F0/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1543849911&sr=1-2&keyw ords=brake+flaring+tool

The manufacturer has posted videos of it in operation but I must say its the simplist I have ever used and makes a perfect double flare reliably and with ease and no special setting up. It's only drawback is that it works with only one pipe size, I have the 4.75mm version and found it cheaper on a well known auction site as they say

rusty nuts

posted on 3/12/18 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have several brake pipe flaring tools , you can't beat the lever type for bench use , the type shown by Ian work well on the car even for steel pipe but just be aware that the metric tool normally come with just the 1st op die. If you only want a couple of pipes try your local friendly garage
myke pocock

posted on 3/12/18 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Done three cars with my Machine Mart one and never had any issues.
LBMEFM

posted on 3/12/18 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the answers, mine was identical to the one in Nick 205 reply. Could it be then that it is not the tool but the copper 3/16th" 22swg pipe that I also bought from Halfords being the wrong diameter ?
daviep

posted on 3/12/18 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Thanks for the answers, mine was identical to the one in Nick 205 reply. Could it be then that it is not the tool but the copper 3/16th" 22swg pipe that I also bought from Halfords being the wrong diameter ?

I guess you're the only one in a position to tell us the answer

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

FamilyGuy

posted on 4/12/18 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I found the type ianhurley20 has put the link to was far superior than the other type which seems to require more skill to get the flare right. They are available in SAE double and ISO bubble flare types.
jps

posted on 4/12/18 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FamilyGuy
I found the type ianhurley20 has put the link to was far superior than the other type which seems to require more skill to get the flare right. They are available in SAE double and ISO bubble flare types.

I've done a lot of searching on the forum on this topic - and had come to the same conclusion as Ian and FamilyGuy. One fact I found it hard to get pinned down - but someone on here confirmed - was that DIN/ISO(same thing) flares are done using a single press - and the tool insert is one sided. The SAE flares are done in a two-stage process - hence the tool insert is double ended.

FamilyGuy

posted on 4/12/18 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
When I was doing my brakes I found the link below useful as I wasn't sure what type of flare was required. Turned out I needed a DIN flare.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare

LBMEFM

posted on 4/12/18 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of your replies, very useful as usual and thanks Family Guy for that interesting article. Cheers again everyone.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 4/12/18 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add, I had a frost's type flare that I could never get to work. Bought the one Ian said earlier in the year and made a good flare first time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.