Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Overall Dimensions?
DavidhMX5

posted on 26/12/18 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Overall Dimensions?

Searched the book but can't find the overall width and length of a completed car.
Anyone know them or could measure their car. Accuracy not critical, within a few cm will do.
Thanks

jps

posted on 26/12/18 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
It will/can depend on what bodywork /wheels you use. Chassis length plus 14" and width plus 26" is probably not far off.
DavidhMX5

posted on 26/12/18 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.
So if I use 3.5mtr x 1.8mtr I will be well inside that. Just working out garage layout to allow work room all round.

steve m

posted on 26/12/18 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I built my 7 in a very small single garage, so small, that even my mondeo will not even fit through the door

However, you have to have a plan, and be fairly organised, keep stuff away from the side wall, and push the car against the opposite wall to work on either side, I still only had about 18" of room to work

Have a major de clutter first, get rid of kids bikes ladders and garden crap into a shed in the back garden or skip !

it can be done, and when the weather gets better, working outside is so much nicer

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 26/12/18 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Which car are you talking about?

My Haynes Roadster (Equinox Bodywork) is:

Overall Length: 3,35m
Overall Width: 1,67m
Height (roll-bar): 1,20m

DavidhMX5

posted on 26/12/18 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I built my 7 in a very small single garage, so small, that even my mondeo will not even fit through the door
Have a major de clutter first, get rid of kids bikes ladders and garden crap into a shed in the back garden or skip !
steve

Major declutter is planned starting today for next few days. First I have to fit some boards in the loft then move a lot of non car tools in to it. Just finished the house so these are no longer needed. Then paint floor and walls as son bought me some really nice floor paint as part of xmas present.
Then I need to organise some upper shelving allround above head height and sort car type tools in to various tool boxes. It's mad the amount of tools you can accumulate over the years.
Then weekend I fetch the engine back from work. I picked it up from Croyden in my car but couldn't get it out without a hoist so it had to use the forklift at work until a host was sourced.
Most of the main construction will be done at work where I have access to very nice (Fronius) welding equipment plus a lot of machinery to make parts. Only when I have a rolling chassis including drive train will it come home for electrics, pipe work body fitting etc.

DavidhMX5

posted on 26/12/18 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by voucht
Which car are you talking about?

My Haynes Roadster (Equinox Bodywork) is:

Overall Length: 3,35m
Overall Width: 1,67m
Height (roll-bar): 1,20m

Perfect thanks!
Yes it will be MX5 based Roadster.

steve m

posted on 26/12/18 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
While your boarding the garage loft, make sure you have good lighting in the garage, with AT LEAST TWO fluorescent's
as said my garage is SMALL, and has two fluorescent's and two 60 watt bulbs, and sometimes that's not enough
If your starting with an empty garage, I would paint the walls as well,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

DavidhMX5

posted on 26/12/18 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Garage already has 3 five foot tube lights in there (single garage). Fitted when I was rebuilding a motorbike.
Ceiling and walls will be getting a good coating of white paint. Should be nice and bright in there. Also have a selection of LED lights I can use for local spot lighting if required. I find these days I cant have too much light.
Think I might fit a radiator in there as well as some of the central heating pipes run through the garage so easy job to T in to it.
Sound bar for some music is on order.
I'm planning on a lot of hours in there.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.