Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No oil pressure after service
AlexXtreme

posted on 19/1/19 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
No oil pressure after service

Just changed the oil as part of my annual service and I now don't seem to be getting oil pressure

I used Halfords oil filters previously (due to convenience) .. and changed to Mann W712/43 (from Europarts) as supposed to be a good quality filters Europarts suggest that the W712/43 is the correct filter. On this web site http://www.mark-seymour.com/ginetta-g40-manual/ginetta-g40-maintenance-specs it mention Mann W712/83. Is there any difference that could be causing the problem.

It is a Zetec Silvertop with raceline sump std 330 grade oil slightly over full to allow for the filter to be filled

Initially I run the car with the deadmans switch on which is usual good way to build oil pressure before I fire her up. But not this I get no pressure even when I fire up the engine for a short time - just tick over though!
I have checked the connections to the oil pressure sensor and they seem tight
Any suggestions?

bikecarbfred

posted on 19/1/19 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
you pre fill the new oil filter?
AlexXtreme

posted on 19/1/19 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
no.. and have not done before. The car has been turned over for over a minute with no pressure.
Feel I have missed something or it is the filter .. this is the Europarts part no for the filter 501590029. When I look else where it seems to be the filter for a toyota
https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Oil%20Filter/W%20712~83
Suggests a higher bypass opening valve pressure

[Edited on 19/1/19 by AlexXtreme]

rusty nuts

posted on 19/1/19 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Did you by any chance leave the drain plug out for a long time? The only time I’ve had problems with oil pressure after changing oil and filter I left the sump plug out during my lunchbreak . The only way I could get pressure was to start the engine with no filter fitted, not ideal but it worked
AlexXtreme

posted on 19/1/19 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
it was out for around 20mins.. does that not create a real mess??

[Edited on 19/1/19 by AlexXtreme]

Slater

posted on 19/1/19 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I suggest you remove the oil pressure sender, get a syringe and short length of flexible pipe, inject a full syringe of oil into the sender hole, put sender back in quick, then turn engine over with plugs out. It should prime and give you oil pressure.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

myke pocock

posted on 19/1/19 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have always prefilled a filter. Think you are asking for trouble not doing that. Tale it off, fill and try again.
SJ

posted on 19/1/19 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I have always prefilled a filter. Think you are asking for trouble not doing that. Tale it off, fill and try again.

Really? I've never pre-filled a filter and never had an issue getting oil pressure after a change.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/1/19 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Could be that the pump has drained dry and can't self prime. Might be an idea to fill the filter and perhaps pour oil down the oil feed pipe from the pump while its off to see if you can fill the pump up to prime it. Could also try turning it over with the spark plugs out if you haven't already done so.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AlexXtreme

posted on 20/1/19 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have never pre filled filters either and can't see why you would as long as you good oil pressure before running.
However the last post does sound like what could be occurring and perhaps the oil pump has drained and is dry so is not self priming.
As such putting some oil in the filter as well as some in to the pump (access is not easy) might get some oil in to the pump and get it to prime.
Will give it a go today and report back.
Don't want to take the oil pressure sender off for other reasons! It is a bit of long story but when I was longer, over 30years ago, I had a Dutton pheton as my only car and with 25mile commute daily for 3 years. It had a really nice rs2000 engine and the oil pressure sender failed and was seized in the block. it sheared off when I tried to remove it and I ended up cracking the block trying to remove it :

nick205

posted on 20/1/19 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I've used Mann oil filters before without an issue and I've never pre-filled any oil filer before. I've drained through sump plugs and extracted throughout dipstick tubes, neither method has ever caused an issue or resulted in no oil pressure. That said the only tin top cars I've had with actual oil pressure gauges have been Peugeot 205gtis. Other makes and model cars I've had have only had oil warning lights. Often the oil warning light will be on for 30 seconds on first start after an oil change, but that's it, job done.
Theshed

posted on 20/1/19 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Likely that the oil pump is empty and pumping air. Some filters need pre-filling some do not. That said it certainly does not do any harm. You are going to have to find some way to prime the system. What is the engine?
AlexXtreme

posted on 20/1/19 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
As I said above is a Ford Silvertop Zetec.. not had this before :-(. The only thing I can think of is that I did not warm up the oil before draining and the car has not been used for the last 2 weeks.
AlexXtreme

posted on 20/1/19 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Update.. took the filter off and it was full of oil!
Turned over engine with plugs out still no luck. So started to look at the sender. The bolted connections were tight before but unbolted them anyway and clean everything off and I have oil pressure!. Thanks for advice to all who commented. Perhaps looking back I should have done this before... it is always easy to say that!

snapper

posted on 20/1/19 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
You’ve never refilled a filter.
Others have suggested you predilection the filter
It’s so simple why would you not prefix the filter

If you prefill the filter and you have the same problem report back, at least you will have categorically found something that is not the orobkem

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

sam919

posted on 21/1/19 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Filling the oil filter ( or any filter if practical/ vertical) is good practise , why put unessesary air into the system, also helps prime and gets the oil moving round quicker.

Senders don’t usually show no pressure with air, this just makes the needle bounce , if you’ve 50psi behind an air bubble it just makes the air bubble 50psi. Doesn’t harm to crack the fitting on the rear of the gauge but it won’t cause a 0 reading.

Glad to see it’s sorted though, good effort

CosKev3

posted on 21/1/19 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
You’ve never refilled a filter.
Others have suggested you predilection the filter
It’s so simple why would you not prefix the filter

If you prefill the filter and you have the same problem report back, at least you will have categorically found something that is not the orobkem

Been on the beer?

The OP posted 4 hours before you he's sorted it

James

posted on 21/1/19 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've never pre-filled a filter... hmmm, what am I missing!

Does it not create a horrendous mess on engines that have a side-mount filter when half the oil pours out down the side of the block whilst you screw it back in?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

bikecarbfred

posted on 29/1/19 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
yeah it does cause a tiny mess as if you do it properly and quick at a certain angle, you can quickly put it on without dropping too much. and the oil can be cleaned off pretty good.
myke pocock

posted on 30/1/19 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Cannot see the issue with pre filling. Why not? It will take time for the oil pump to fill the filter but by prefilling part of the job is done. Also surely by pre filling it creates a sort of back pressure in the oil ways and could be helpful?
AlexXtreme

posted on 30/1/19 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
The issue is sorted now however from experience of removing the filter and putting an almost full filter back on the car, it is not something I will repeating!

The access to fitting the filter is poor so trying to align the thread is difficult which just makes the whole process unnecessarily messy in my view.

When my pressure gauge is working :-), I normally just turn over the car to get oil pressure before firing which only takes a second or two. I can not see this as any worse than pre-filling the filter.

bikecarbfred

posted on 30/1/19 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
fill the filter in future to only half
every little bit helps. just helps the speeding up of oil pressure

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/19 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
one of the reasons I like my volvos oil filter, being on the underside of the engine, no mess & easy to prefill...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.