Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW diff unit
myke pocock

posted on 19/1/19 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
BMW diff unit

I have an E34 5 series BMW diff unit (mid 80's I think) fitted to my Skoda Estelle trials car. Far stronger than the original. I am using the original drive shafts, cut and sleeved to length. The splined input shafts fit into the diff unit and are retained by sprung rings that fit in a groove in the diff unit on both sides and click in to place in corresponding grooves in the drive shaft input shafts. The sprung rings are, I think, a bit tired as one shaft tends to drift out of the transaxle in use. Firstly is there a name for the sprung rings and secondly do they come in various sizes and where are they available from? I will try the local BMW spares dept but envisage they wont be bothered.
cliftyhanger

posted on 19/1/19 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have always called then snap rings.

I had a similar issue with the scooby diff in my spitfire, in the end I bought a box of assorted rings as nobody seemed to be able to help. Even then a fair bit of faff to choose the right ones.

If you have a measurement I may have some in my box...

myke pocock

posted on 19/1/19 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hello cliftyhanger. Thanks for the reply. If I had done my research better I would have found the name of them myself and also that you can get them in a variety of sizes for inner and outer on ebay. Ordered some so thanks very much for the offer.
cliftyhanger

posted on 20/1/19 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you found them.
My box is a JR one. Take care the ring isn't too tight, you want to be able to get the shaft out again! Flipside not too loose.
Plus I didn't have any rings to start with, so involved guesswork as well as verniers.

If you want any others, please ask.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.