Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which fuel sender for aluminium fuel tank?
kevyo89

posted on 23/1/19 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Which fuel sender for aluminium fuel tank?

I'm after some advice on a half decent fuel sender for my aluminium fuel cell.

Anyone got any thoughts?

matt5964

posted on 23/1/19 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I originally had a swing arm type but this proved to be in accurate and not great at below half tank due to the movement of fuel in corners.

I changed it to a tube version from the link below and everything is working well even on track

https://dmcomponents.co.uk/collections/fuel-senders/products/fuel-sender-for-square-or-rectangular-tanks

I use it with the stakk gauge like below, even though the Dash2 has the ability to display I use other functions and find the gauge easier to read cos I don’t want to be the one who red flags a session because of no fuel..lol

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/stack-professional-fuel-level-gauge-249500/

This gauge is good as you can set the ohm it reads
It also displays the fuel level last read when switched off which is really useful

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

kevyo89

posted on 23/1/19 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
I originally had a swing arm type but this proved to be in accurate and not great at below half tank due to the movement of fuel in corners.

I changed it to a tube version from the link below and everything is working well even on track

https://dmcomponents.co.uk/collections/fuel-senders/products/fuel-sender-for-square-or-rectangular-tanks

I use it with the stakk gauge like below, even though the Dash2 has the ability to display I use other functions and find the gauge easier to read cos I don’t want to be the one who red flags a session because of no fuel..lol

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/stack-professional-fuel-level-gauge-249500/

This gauge is good as you can set the ohm it reads
It also displays the fuel level last read when switched off which is really useful

Thanks for this mate - really informative. I asked as I was sure the swinging arm type would be very inaccurate, especially around the track!

Maybe a daft question here but is the length of the fuel sender just determined by the depth of your fuel tank? I'm assuming it has to run from the very bottom to the top?

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/1/19 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't "have" to be anything but if you leave a bit of a gap it will leave yourself a reserve that you won't try to use normally
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt5964

posted on 23/1/19 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
It doesn't "have" to be anything but if you leave a bit of a gap it will leave yourself a reserve that you won't try to use normally

Exactly this

Mine is about 22mm from the bottom of the tank and I’ve got a swirl trap at the bottom so have quite a bit left when Hague reads empty

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

nick205

posted on 23/1/19 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Did this myself so I had some fuel to spare and avoided running out of it.

peter030371

posted on 23/1/19 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevyo89
I'm after some advice on a half decent fuel sender for my aluminium fuel cell.

Anyone got any thoughts?

To what gauge?

Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/1/19 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting replies.
My point of view.
Gauge needs to be accurate enough at a sand still. If you are low enough to be worrid through the bends, you are already too low.
This doesn´t mean a wobbly needle is not an annoying thing.

Having your gauge read empty when there´s still fuel on the tang is like having your watch 10 minutes fast to avoid getting late to meetings...
I´d rather have my watch on time.

I bought my gauge/sender combo back when I had more "available car funds" therefore went for VDO. At that time I bought Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Volt Meter, Matching Gauges - and senders. All else will be displayed through an Acewell unit.

Hope this helps.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.