Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Propshaft catcher placement
reb

posted on 25/2/19 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Propshaft catcher placement

Hi,

I have a very long 2-piece propshaft for my bike powered kit car.

Front half is ~50cm and rear part ~80 cm long, there is a middle bearing on the rear part of the front half.

I would like to install several prop catchers in case the propshaft fails to avoid personal inury.

Can you advise me where the ideal locations are to place them?

I read to place such prop catchers close to the U-Joints as those usually fail first.

Hence I would like to place a prop catcher close to the engine/gearbox flange and one close to the differential flange.

But what about the central u-joint which is holding both propshaft halves together?

Would I need to place two prop catchers there on each side of the U-joint?

Or do I only need one prop catcher on one side, as the middle bearing acts as prop catcher on the other side?

How far from the U-joint should the propcatcher be ideally located? I assume the ideal location would be a couple of cm away from the u-joint, on the tube side?

How much larger does the diamater of the hole in the prop catcher has to be compared to the propshaft? Is a 20mm larger diamater sufficient?

Can you recommend the thickness of such a prop catcher? Is 3mm mild steel with M8 8.8 bolts sufficient?

[Edited on 25/2/19 by reb]

[Edited on 25/2/19 by reb]

designer

posted on 25/2/19 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
If all joints are the same quality, it is the front which will break because it's where power is initially driven into the driveshaft.

I always put mine just behind the front joint. Usually about six inchs, on a shorter shaft just move it a touch nearer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 25/2/19 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
2, 1 at each end is the simplest way to be sure.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.