Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Forums for 3d printing/CNC milling
Slimy38

posted on 15/4/19 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Forums for 3d printing/CNC milling

Hi, I'm looking to build myself a small Dremel based CNC mill for some light work (and mainly as a new toy!!). Does anyone know of a good forum or similar where I can get some ideas and ask some questions?

As a guide, my first question is around stepper motors, more specifically the nema 17 range. They seem to be quite common drivers for 3d printing too, hence the expansion to 3d printing forums.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
harmchar

posted on 15/4/19 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
www.mycncuk has lots of builds to read over. It's something I have been thinking of for a while now but never get round to it. My time would be better spent in my garage getting my Haynes 7 ready for IVA.
Good luck, post up any progress you make.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 16/4/19 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
You could take a look at

RepRap forums

Mainly for 3d printing, but there are lots of people talking about CNC (mostly home-built). EVERYBODY talks about NEMA17 motors, as they're the staple power source for most 3d printers - I have 2 printers, and there are 9 NEMA17s between them!

You will have to sift through the dross as it's a popular forum, but there are some good people on there who will happily answer a sensible question. It's easy to register too.

Note that NEMA17 describes the size of the motor, it's mounting holes, etc. They come in all sorts of power ratings, from very thin weak ones up to hefty great high-power ones.

[Edited on 16/4/19 by David Jenkins]





The older I get, the better I was...

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 16/4/19 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Note that NEMA17 describes the size of the motor, it's mounting holes, etc. They come in all sorts of power ratings, from very thin weak ones up to hefty great high-power ones.



Perfect, that's the sort of information I'm after. I assumed Nema was the company and it was their 17th variant... Time to start looking a bit deeper, thanks.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 16/4/19 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
www.mycncuk has lots of builds to read over. It's something I have been thinking of for a while now but never get round to it. My time would be better spent in my garage getting my Haynes 7 ready for IVA.
Good luck, post up any progress you make.


I'll give them a go, thanks. It looks like a lot of information, although my registration has been denied. I'm guessing it's because my email address is Yahoo based, so I've contacted the admin to see what can be done.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 16/4/19 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Note that NEMA17 describes the size of the motor, it's mounting holes, etc. They come in all sorts of power ratings, from very thin weak ones up to hefty great high-power ones.



Perfect, that's the sort of information I'm after. I assumed Nema was the company and it was their 17th variant... Time to start looking a bit deeper, thanks.


Try this, for a start: LINKY

And this: LINKY

[Edited on 16/4/19 by David Jenkins]





The older I get, the better I was...

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 17/4/19 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
You're possibly going to use Linuxcnc to run it if you want to learn cnc. So the linuxcnc forum which includes machine builds.

Cnczone has useful info for machining.

A dremel based machine will depress you though, you would be limited to soft plastics and wood, get a proper spindle.





Report your local potholes, it actually works!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.