Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering issue
snapper

posted on 29/4/19 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Steering issue

A bit of background first, the car is back in the road “Woo Hoo” Robin Hood monocoque Sierra donor.
Tyres are 195-60-14 on 6” rims pressure 22psi.
It has pretty tight handling as in you can’t shift the rear, I do get slight understeer but the biggest problem is that straight ahead the car feels like it’s stiff to turn then it turns in hard.
Any ideas?

YES I KNOW IT NEEDS A GEO DOING, and I will do that soon.

I would like to know what the collective thinks would cause those symptoms pls

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/19 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
You fitted the wheels upsides down
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 30/4/19 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You fitted the wheels upsides down

More likely I’ve accidentally swapped the left & right

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

falcor75

posted on 30/4/19 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I know the orientation of the steering joints can cause binding so that can be one thing to check, jack the front end up and turn the wheel from lock to lock. The resistance should be equal all the way....
russbost

posted on 30/4/19 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
As Falcor75 says, first check with wheels off the ground to see if steering is consistent or binding somewhere - it obviously can't have been like that at IVA.

Assuming it's free & even on the above check I would be looking at tracking, no idea of correct tracking for a Robin Hood, but I would expect it to toe in slightly. I have a very basic gauge here if you want to check it - instructions on how to make a similar one are on my website under "free stuff" www.furorecars.co.uk

[Edited on 30/4/19 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rusty nuts

posted on 30/4/19 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
The standard Sierra steering column bush can cause binding, I fitted one of the self aligning bearings which made self entering easier as well trying to drive in a straight line.
SteveWalker

posted on 30/4/19 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
As Falcor75 says, first check with wheels off the ground to see if steering is consistent or binding somewhere - it obviously can't have been like that at IVA.

Assuming it's free & even on the above check I would be looking at tracking, no idea of correct tracking for a Robin Hood, but I would expect it to toe in slightly. I have a very basic gauge here if you want to check it - instructions on how to make a similar one are on my website under "free stuff" www.furorecars.co.uk

[Edited on 30/4/19 by russbost]

On my Series III (inboard coilovers) with the owners' club recommended modifications (softer [130lb] springs, better dampers and tie-rods rather than the anti-roll bar), parallel was recommended and certainly works well with 195/50/15 tyres and 24psi.

SteveW

David Jenkins

posted on 1/5/19 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
The standard Sierra steering column bush can cause binding, I fitted one of the self aligning bearings which made self entering easier as well trying to drive in a straight line.

This.

I had a similar problem until I squirted the bush with some penetrating white grease. I also have a self-aligning bearing, but it's still not fitted to the car!

snapper

posted on 6/5/19 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
On my Series III (inboard coilovers) with the owners' club recommended modifications (softer [130lb] springs, better dampers and tie-rods rather than the anti-roll bar), parallel was recommended and certainly works well with 195/50/15 tyres and 24psi.

I’ve done this....

I had a similar problem until I squirted the bush with some penetrating white grease. I also have a self-aligning bearing,

I’ve done that....

I suspect it needs a proper geo setup, doing the front means popping out the mushrooms, a bit of a pain

The rear has camber wedges

I’ll try and find the base settings for camber caster and toe

I eat to survive
I drink to forget

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.