Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Buy Advice
woodsy144

posted on 17/5/19 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Bike Buy Advice

Hello People,

My project is starting and I am looking at a salvage bike.
Here it is
https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-salvage/item/-/details/CP-07-16--Yamaha--YZF-R1-Anniversary--Supersport-Road--Motor-Bike/1020098864

I dont have any bike / R1 / this model year experience.
My image is to try and use as much of the critical elements of the power train as much as possible, wiring loom, ECU, fuel pump, some exhaust, etc. From the photos it looks like the dash is gone...... but the key is there.

So i am asking for advise.
Will this be suitable or is it too far gone?
What should I be looking for when I inspect it (I dont think I will be able to turn it over)
Is there nything on this age of bike that will stop me from running (stupid switchs / different dash / code error problem)

Prity much buy as seen.
Any information would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks guys.

[Edited on 17/5/19 by woodsy144]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/5/19 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't, based on what I see in the pictures, but then I only have my sensibilities to judge it by. Your's will be different, plus other circumstances that may be a Victorian ingredient (how rare are these things, etc.). Some say (like me) that the later engine isn't great in a car, but that'll be dismissed by many others.

Heavy front end impact, I'd be suprised if the engine crankcase survived.

That said, plenty of sellers on Ebay would describe this as an "ezy fix".

But personally, I always buy a running bike. OK, so it's an older model usually, and usually a Suzuki GSXR1000 K1-6 or 5VY Yamaha (my own bias). I then ride the bike, enjoy it a while, remove the engine and electronics, finally selling the bike as one engineless lump (usually with a current WOF.... (MoT)). These bikes have very simple electrics, good engines and ride well.

40inches

posted on 17/5/19 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Chances are that is what it looks. A pile of scrap
Personally I wouldn't.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/5/19 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well you'll be after the engine & transmission, however it looks like this area has taken quite wallop and you don't know till you take it apart just how far that damage goes, the crankcase could be split or have other damage... I don't think I'd risk buying it

[Edited on 17/5/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 17/5/19 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
The exhaust headers look like they're no longer attached to the engine and I'd be surprised if the loom & various sensors were intact.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole without seeing the engine fully removed.......

Phil

Slimy38

posted on 17/5/19 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
When I first started I was always told to look for a running donor. It didn't need to be on the road, but at least having it running means that when it comes to putting the bits into a kit, you're not chasing issues that could have been right from the very beginning.

And I was only looking at low spec MX5's as a donor, not a great deal to go wrong.

perksy

posted on 17/5/19 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, Walk away, That's scrap value imho

Buy a running bike where you can have a listen and check a few things out, There will always be others...

woodsy144

posted on 19/5/19 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. Ill leave this one alone.
It will be interesting to see what it goes for. Ill let you know.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.