Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What magazines are folks reading?
Benzine

posted on 23/6/19 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
What magazines are folks reading?

It's been a while since this kind of thread. I'm wondering what kind of physical format car related publications people are reading at the moment.

I'm reading Rustys and Motorpunk. Both quarterly magazines (although Rustys aren't so up to speed on quantity) Both are mags that I'd be proud to have on my coffee table, and I hate coffee. (and tea)

I used to be a die hard PPC buyer. Every month I'd be down to WHSmith to buy, then I switched to subscribing. Year 1, and 1 mag got lost in the post. Year 2, 3 got lost. Year four and 4 went astray. I'm fine with chasing up the odd missing issue, but after not receiving *four!* I felt let down.

What are you reading?

[Edited on 23-6-2019 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Myke 2463

posted on 23/6/19 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Complete Kit Car.

Be Lucky Mike.

furryeggs

posted on 24/6/19 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
TKC
Complete kit car
Practical Classics
Retro ford

Sam_68

posted on 24/6/19 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing, these days - I used to be obsessive about getting the magazines each month, but the internet has taken over entirely, for several years now.

Particularly with the kit car mags, it became frustrating/embarrassing that the industry really doesn't have much new to offer - very few new cars/manufacturers coming through - and I got sick of paying to see the same ads every month.

The classic car mags (which used to be my other interest) similarly become repetitive, after you've been reading them for a few years.

nero1701

posted on 24/6/19 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Razzle..
talkingshte

posted on 24/6/19 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nero1701
Razzle..

Class!

I'm on Racecar engineer nowadays, used to read evo and such but got bored of reading about boring german cars.

T66

posted on 24/6/19 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Razzle..

Does that still exist ? lol

Mag wise, I only buy for holidays but it tends to be Octane

[Edited on 24/6/19 by T66]

nick205

posted on 24/6/19 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I used to be an avid reader of What Hi-Fi, but TBH haven't read printed magazines for years. As mentioned above I might buy one for a holiday read, usually cycling related, MBUK or the like.
AlexXtreme

posted on 24/6/19 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Practical Classics .. not much else has any interest or is available on-line.
Also when I dont get round to buying it, library has them to lend FOC!

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 24/6/19 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
Particularly with the kit car mags, it became frustrating/embarrassing that the industry really doesn't have much new to offer - very few new cars/manufacturers coming through - and I got sick of paying to see the same ads every month.

The classic car mags (which used to be my other interest) similarly become repetitive, after you've been reading them for a few years.

Must say I found this as well - I sometimes pick up a copy of TCK or Complete Kit Car if I'm travelling or away, but not a regular reader.

The only other magazine I read in Land Rover Owner International magazine; I get bought a subscription each year for birthday/Xmas, but otherwise probably wouldn't purchase it monthly through choice. As stated, it's full of adverts (mostly different sellers for identical products), and as per the kit car scene, there's only so many modifications you can really do!

Plus I get frustrated at every man and his dog commenting on the "new" Defender......

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

James

posted on 24/6/19 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Razzle..

Damn! Beat me to it!

I think Autosport is about the only one I read these days- and that usually when I'm in the supermarket, not actually buying it!

Oh, plus any Top Gear or similar mag in the petrol station if I see the magic word: 'Mclaren' on the cover!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

steve m

posted on 24/6/19 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I havnt bought or read a magazine in a good few years, yet in the past spent an awful lot of money on Kit car, RC plane mags
Practical classics and the like

but now, spend all that reading (looking at adverts) time on the tinternet, and can source what I want to read about, with out having to delve through 90 of bullshit to get there

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

James

posted on 24/6/19 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I havnt bought or read a magazine in a good few years, yet in the past spent an awful lot of money on Kit car, RC plane mags
Practical classics and the like

but now, spend all that reading (looking at adverts) time on the tinternet, and can source what I want to read about, with out having to delve through 90 of bullshit to get there

I still have the '99 2000-ish copy of Kit Car with you in it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

steve m

posted on 24/6/19 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
So have I James !
When you think that was 20 years ago, 21 when my car was on the road,

and we are still here, talking dribble on LB site

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ReMan

posted on 24/6/19 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
Nothing, these days - I used to be obsessive about getting the magazines each month, but the internet has taken over entirely, for several years now.

Fully agree.
I spent 000’s. Over the years as I used to love mags. But as above and the kit mags in particular used to print duplicate articles or nothing of any use except ads which repeated in a singl mag iirc.
Still got shed fulls of them, keep promising myself to re.read and scan anything of use, then sell/burn them.

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/6/19 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I don't bother. I just watch youtube on the tv. Science, space, cars, building models etc

Most mags are just full of adverts with the odd splashing of interesting articles, the rest just filler dross. They also cost a small fortune.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oddified

posted on 25/6/19 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I buy/read ppc from time to time, but it's not available at smaller newagents, i did the subscription thing a few years ago and i would say half never arrived and some that did were damaged enough to be hard to read so that was the end of that..

Now i just buy ppc or classic ford when i see them and if there's something/car interesting covered. If i need to know something, google/youtube or the search on this forum are my first avenue (with my $ullshit filter turned on to weed out the idiots from the people who know what's what )

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.