Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help wanted. Aj30 / Duratec 30
big_wasa

posted on 5/10/19 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks.

I am working on an idea that doesn’t need the ring gear cutting.

RWD Focus

posted on 5/10/19 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I removed the ring gear from the Jag auto plate, machined the st200 flywheel, then sweated/shrunk the ring gear onto it. I will then get it lightened and balanced along with the crank etc

big_wasa

posted on 5/10/19 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn’t bring my self to cut the teeth off a new billet Ttv flywheel so I am working on an alternative.
Oddified

posted on 6/10/19 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I used a modified small Brise pinto starter onto the standard tvs flywheel (1188 if i remember correctly), in the normal/engine side of the flywheel. Works perfectly

Ian

RWD Focus

posted on 6/10/19 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I couldn’t bring my self to cut the teeth off a new billet Ttv flywheel so I am working on an alternative.

Ive done mine already but would be interested in what you discover for my next build for a customer using AJ30/RX8 combination going in a RWD Fiesta

big_wasa

posted on 6/10/19 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I was cock sure when I started the project there would be something available due to the parts bin special nature of ford.

A chat with Ian gave me the reassurance I was after and the information that the v6 used the same pitch as the traditional ford 4 pots. Everything from a pinto to a Focus Rs. The pinion is 10 tooth 25mm.

The jag is 11 tooth and 35mm dia.

The Ford and Jaguar starter motors are both made by ford. They are a planetary style starter and have the same through out. The only difference is the mounting lugs and the pinion. The ford st170/Zetec pinion and bendix swap straight over.

So you now have a starter with the correct pinion and through and fit it’s just 4.25mm short of reaching the flywheel. There is space to get it to the flywheel but there isn’t a lot of space between it and the block.

Options.

1) plug weld the plate and move the holes 4.25mm

2) get a brise starter motor like Ian and make a custom front plate.

3) Persuade Johnathan to cut one with the holes moved 4.25mm

I wanted to test it first before sharing. But with the holes moved it would be a simple bolt together job. No cutting, turning or welding needed.

big_wasa

posted on 6/10/19 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
New plate.

Starter motors

Solid flywheel, hybrid starter and thre gap.

RWD Focus

posted on 6/10/19 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that.
Update on my plate, i spoke to Jonathon and he is sending me a new modified plate out. Brilliant customer service.

big_wasa

posted on 12/10/19 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Johnathan asked me for a little more feedback so another Saturday afternoon on the Duratec 30.

So I measured, measured some more and measured again.

With the smaller pinion there is a 5mm gap. You need 0.75mm. So I made up a jig. Plug welded the plate and re-drilled the plate 4.25mm inwards.

Fitted it up and it works fine with the old Mondeo single mass flywheel and the Ttv St220 flywheel.

https://youtu.be/l01vP9_wnm4

[Edited on 12/10/19 by big_wasa]

CosKev3

posted on 13/10/19 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent work

If the plates come with the holes to make that work it saves alot of hassle!

big_wasa

posted on 13/10/19 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I agree.

Having spoken to Johnathan I think there was 6 original plates sold over The last two years. Mines gone back, Rwd Focus, Sam doesn’t think his is correct. I think Johnathan has had five new ones cut. Can’t see him changing it until the balance has gone. I know the loss on the first batch has made him wince.

I think It will come down to demand and I think more would have sold if it was just a bolt together solution.

Ive posted it all on his Fb age.

[Edited on 13/10/19 by big_wasa]

andygtt

posted on 13/10/19 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Help wanted,

Any one local to the Spalding ish area + 20 mile radius got a bare Jaguar Aj30 or/and a Ford Duratec 30 engine ?

I just want to see if my Rx8 adapter fits your engine. It does not fit my Ford engine well two bolts do.

It was cut specifically for the Aj30 and I have been told it fits. The Duratec 30 should be the same block as the jaguar ancillaries are even stamped ford.

Here’s hoping

[Edited on 21/7/19 by big_wasa]

Im sure you know the answer by now as Im late to this thread, however the AJ30 and the ST220 block is the same item, as is the crank etc... it's the heads that are different between the variants.

I and many of my fellow Noble friends have used Jag engines in our car (the 3.0L noble used an ST220 engine) as there was a cheap supply of brand new jag units a few years back.. we used the 'Jag' block, crank and oil pump and swopped out rod pistons and heads onto it.

Shame I didn't see this earlier as I have a number of both engines in my lockup.

Any reason you didn't want to use the S type manual box? I bought a complete engine with one and it looks a nice compact 5 speed unit.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

40inches

posted on 13/10/19 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andygtt
quote:
Help wanted,

Any one local to the Spalding ish area + 20 mile radius got a bare Jaguar Aj30 or/and a Ford Duratec 30 engine ?

I just want to see if my Rx8 adapter fits your engine. It does not fit my Ford engine well two bolts do.

It was cut specifically for the Aj30 and I have been told it fits. The Duratec 30 should be the same block as the jaguar ancillaries are even stamped ford.

Here’s hoping

Im sure you know the answer by now as Im late to this thread, however the AJ30 and the ST220 block is the same item, as is the crank etc... it's the heads that are different between the variants.

I and many of my fellow Noble friends have used Jag engines in our car (the 3.0L noble used an ST220 engine) as there was a cheap supply of brand new jag units a few years back.. we used the 'Jag' block, crank and oil pump and swopped out rod pistons and heads onto it.

Shame I didn't see this earlier as I have a number of both engines in my lockup.

Any reason you didn't want to use the S type manual box? I bought a complete engine with one and it looks a nice compact 5 speed unit.

I used the Getrag box small and light, just over 35 kilo, it feels like a very strong box , but you can't rush the change.
I had a MR2 Turbo some years back, and it reminds me of that box.
Fine for cruising and the odd track day.
Description
Description

big_wasa

posted on 13/10/19 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the adapter was out but it was changed with out argument even though I had had it over 18 months.

I did think of fitting the Duratec 30 into an Rx8 and the Rx8 box would save no end of work.
The Rx8 5spd is cheap and plentiful with a nicer change and better ratios. It’s not particularly light.

The Getrag has an odd first motion shaft size so flywheel choice is very limited, ie standard jag dual mass or Ttv do a single mass flywheel with a 180mm “Race” clutch. Any others ? But the ford flywheel uses the standard 240mm 1” 23 spline for front and rwd so it’s just mix and match.

RWD Focus

posted on 13/10/19 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ive spoken to Jonathon and he is sending me out a modified corrected plate without issue

CosKev3

posted on 13/10/19 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
quote:
Help wanted,

Here’s hoping

I used the Getrag box small and light, just over 35 kilo, it feels like a very strong box , but you can't rush the change.
Description
Description

What ratio diff are you running?

I thought the Jag box was 1:1 in fifth gear,so that's same as a Type9's fourth gear?

40inches

posted on 13/10/19 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
quote:
quote:
Help wanted,

Here’s hoping

Description
Description

I thought the Jag box was 1:1 in fifth gear,so that's same as a Type9's fourth gear?

Diff ratio is 3.2:1 that gives about 145ish MPH in top @ 7200 RPM.
I had a 3.6 diff in at first, the acceleration was mental

CosKev3

posted on 13/10/19 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
quote:
quote:
Help wanted,

Here’s hoping

Description
Description

Diff ratio is 3.2:1 that gives about 145ish MPH in top @ 7200 RPM.
I had a 3.6 diff in at first, the acceleration was mental

What rear end is your car then to have a 3.21 ratio?

Nevtiger

posted on 21/10/19 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I bought my adaptor plate back in March last year and found it needed a whole bunch of holes moving.

So Jonathon has made a new plate? It works properly? My existing one is useless.

I did say to him last year that is was offset but he didn't have a solution then.

Is it worth me asking for a replacement?

Nev

big_wasa

posted on 21/10/19 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yes he has redrawn the plate.
Yes he replaced mine.
Yes it fits. One hole was a little tight, top right looking at the flywheel. No I haven't had a box in it to check that side if things.

He had told me there where six of the original batch out there

Me, kev, Richard on here. I've spoken to another guy on fb that makes you number five.

I would contact him, as you say it's bugger all use if it doesn't fit.

Cheers Warren

Nevtiger

posted on 21/10/19 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that.

Contacted him.

As long as i show photos of the original cut up he will replace it.

Seems Fair enough to me.

Cheers

big_wasa

posted on 21/10/19 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
No problem.

I have no doubt it will have hit him in the pocket but I am more concerned that he sold six with out more thorough testing.

RWD Focus

posted on 25/10/19 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
My replacement adapter plate arrived today as promised from Jonathon. Fits perfect. Great customer service.

big_wasa

posted on 25/10/19 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yep really can’t fault him for that. Again thanks to Kev for his dust plate that made it possible.
MootchA

posted on 2/1/20 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
hi, i think i am no 6. do you know if the plate guy will still change the plate, and is their a contact no for him ??cheers mike
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.