Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running lean
Pro424vt

posted on 26/7/19 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Running lean

First some info on the build. It's a duratec 2.0 with a 2.5 vvt head, vvt delete. Crower cams and valve springs, forged bottom end on a stock crank. I'm running 40mm bike carbs from a 01 zx9r. Currently running it to about 8000 rpm but it gets really lean at the top end and I have 180 jets in it. No coughing or sputtering, no running issues at all other than the plugs are ghost white after 10 laps. I havent run an air cleaner to this point and I can see a cloud of vapor outside the carbs outside the carbs at the end of the straights. Is this causing my lean condition or am I way off on jetting?
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/7/19 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
You need to get to a rolling road experienced with bike carbs, or if you want to DIY fit a wideband sensor.
I think you may be lucky to still have a running engine, very easy to melt a piston with a lean mixture and too much advance.

Pro424vt

posted on 26/7/19 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'm mapped for about 26deg max advance at 80% load and 6800 rpm. I have a wide band I'm going to install this weekend. Just wondering if I'm in the ball park for jetting.
Dingz

posted on 26/7/19 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think you may need bigger jets, 170 is about the start point on a pinto where you have less power. Spitting back through the carbs can be a symptom of running lean but fuel stand-off may be due to short inlet tract, the mixture is rapidly beeing sucked into the engine, valve shuts and sends a pulse backwards out of the carb. When a filter is on it’s not so noticeable.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.