Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Three wire speed sensor
Abe

posted on 26/7/19 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Three wire speed sensor

Hi gang

Ok I’ve done something stupid... bought, made bracket, fitted magnets to drive shaft and installed a three wire speed sensor from Tiger racing... looks lovely... except my ETB electronic speedo is an older two sensor wire input. Obviously I’m not getting a reading. Am I right in thinking I need to replace the sensor with a two wire or can a three wire one be made to work? Three wire is negative positive and signal DC I believe whereas the two wire I believe is AC. Hope that makes sense!

[Edited on 26/7/19 by Abe]

gremlin1234

posted on 26/7/19 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abe
Hi gang

Ok I’ve done something stupid... bought, made bracket, fitted magnets to drive shaft and installed a three wire speed sensor from Tiger racing... looks lovely... except my ETB electronic speedo is an older two sensor wire input. Obviously I’m not getting a reading. Am I right in thinking I need to replace the sensor with a two wire or can a three wire one be made to work? Three wire is negative positive and signal DC I believe whereas the two wire I believe is AC. Hope that makes sense!

you might be able to make it work with various pull up/down resistors,
but some sensors pull down, other up, so quite likely not.

just get the right sensor, else you will always be doubting it.

Abe

posted on 26/7/19 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I don’t know what pull up/down resistors are, so probably best I just get the correct sensor

Thanks for your reply

02GF74

posted on 26/7/19 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Etb wiring diagrams here
https://www.etbinstruments.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=17_85

Which model is yours.

A 2 wire speedo either will accept a pulse signal or have the wires grounded. If you are feeling brave, then connect to the speedo 2 wires, then rapidly touch them together, if the pointer moves then we know how to drive it.

A metal comb is ideal for this test by dragging wire across the prongs will give rapid pulses.

Tbh sounds like electrickery is a mystery for you, how much is the correct sensor as you may damage a very expensive speedo.

Abe

posted on 26/7/19 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi bud

Thanks for the reply....It’s not a ‘complete’ mystery as I’ve built a few wiring looms in my time, but I do have some gaps with stuff like this
It’s this speedometer... 80mm ETB Electronic Speedometer Mk2 (Rubber button on glass).

The original sensor was a two wire, picking up off a 15 hole disc off the prop shaft, smashed and mounted horribly, a new one is £80, the one I bought from Tiger that I thought was compatible although mounted in a different location is £32. Was trying to save a few quid and make a tidy job of mounting it too. Someone had already mounted a magnetic pick up, but that had been disconnected and was hanging off.

02GF74

posted on 26/7/19 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
below is the relevant section; note the reed switch option.

either fit a reed switch - not ideal as they have limited lifetime and prone to bounce at high rpm - better make use of your 3 wire sender to drive a transistor switch; example circuit using FET shown.

FET as a switch

Abe

posted on 26/7/19 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you so much that’s massively helpful
ianhurley20

posted on 4/8/19 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would be very interested in knowing if you got your speedo sorted - we have exactly the same non working set up at the moment!

Abe

posted on 4/8/19 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi bud

I bought a cheap threaded M8 Reed sensor from eBay and have mounted that. After some speedo calibration i got some accurate results against my GPS. That is until after 5 minutes, then the needle starts getting erratic and not at particularly high revs either. I may get a new speedo and use my three wire hall speed sensor as the lcd display on my speedometer has also started glitching. Will play about tomorrow if I get time.

ianhurley20

posted on 5/8/19 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the update, our 3 wire sensor (Burton Power) will not light up the speedo at all at the moment, I'll post a solution if I find one.

[Edited on 5/8/19 by ianhurley20]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.