Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LSD
cfc999

posted on 5/9/19 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
LSD

Do I need a lsd
Had a quick tentative blast in my live axle zx9r powered strike.
The cars been built on the cheap so couldn’t really afford a lsd but couldn’t help noticing I struggled for traction.
The tyres were cold and the private road was slightly damp but the near side wheel span up when I applied a serious amount of throttle. Is this to be expected and can it be overcome without buying a expensive lsd
Cheers

JimSpencer

posted on 6/9/19 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Damp & Cold = Yup to be expected.. Dry & Warm then significantly less unless really giving it some stick..

Put an LSD in it then in the Damp & Cold both will spin.. Dry & Warm grips and goes, or slides predictably if Really giving it some stick

The Torque Biasing type, Quaife ATB, really suit a Striker. Virtually unnoticeable effect on the way the car drives & the handling other than the above. Plate type, generally speaking, is OTT for them and again, generally speaking, a bit of a PITA day-to-day on the road.

HTH

adithorp

posted on 6/9/19 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
What he said ^^^

Nearly posted last night and glad I didn't as Jim has saved me the effort.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

pekwah1

posted on 6/9/19 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
if it helps, i've had live axle strikers for the last 6 years or so, haven't had an LSD on either (although probably would if they weren't so pricey).
With my modest power of probably 130-140hp i'm not seeing much problem, yeah occasionally i get a bit of one wheel spin, but at the same time being live axle quite comfortably gets sideways.

Have taken it on track and although i recognise that an LSD would probably be better, i have never been at the point of thinking "i really need an LSD as this car is rubbish without one"

I guess it's probably best to just get out in it and build up some miles, can always add at a later date if needed.

Cheers,
Andy

cfc999

posted on 6/9/19 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps
The plan is to see how I go (not got much choice really) and maybe arrange a test at my local race track.
I’m planning on using the car for track days sprints and hillclimbs so might have a little bit of trouble getting off the line.
My thoughts were compared to the bike my contact patch is significantly bigger so getting the power down shouldn’t be a problem once the tyre was warm on a nice smooth dry piece of race track.

nick205

posted on 6/9/19 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy I used an open Sierra diff. Give it the beans and a rear wheel span. Drive with some mindfulness and no issue. I only ever used it on the road and it was never a problem for me.
peter030371

posted on 6/9/19 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
My old live axle Striker had about 140bhp from a 2lt fiat TC engine. Did about 1000 road miles and a couple of trackdays, all good. Then got offered a Quaife ATB diff fitted into my axle by Quaife for a price I could not refuse.

It was like chalk and cheese. Getting the power down when pulling away or powering out of corners both on the road and track was so much more controllable

New Striker had an ATB from first build

cfc999

posted on 6/9/19 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Will see how I go but I’ve anyone has a lsd going spare let me know

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.