Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fabricating Ford 1.6 litre Sigma engine mounts
John Bonnett

posted on 26/9/19 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fabricating Ford 1.6 litre Sigma engine mounts

I just wondered if anyone using this engine has managed to make left hand engine mount whilst still retaining the aircon pump. Aircon is something I would like to have if possible. If the pump is removed the vacant mounts for it can be used as engine mount fixings.

Thanks

John

John Bonnett

posted on 27/9/19 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, no replies but it was an odd ball question so no worries.

The Sigma is going in my Reliant kitten project and I'd like to incorporate air conditioning if possible to make the car a practical proposition for holidays in France during the summer.

It should be possible to fabricate a mounting coming off the aircon pump securing bolts but I'll not know for sure until I can offer the engine and box up to the chassis and see where everything comes in relation to a convenient point on the chassis.

By the way, this isn't the engine I'll be using.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 27/9/19 by John Bonnett]

DH2

posted on 29/9/19 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think you are going to struggle depending on how much space you have.
If you come off the back of the AC compressor, I'd be a bit concerned about the leverage of bolt length you'd have to use, and stress on the compressor housing.
Maybe you could use the OEM mounting on the front, but again not ideal assuming you are going longitudinal in a space frame.
Or move the AC compressor somewhere else?

DH2

John Bonnett

posted on 29/9/19 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DH2
I think you are going to struggle depending on how much space you have.
If you come off the back of the AC compressor, I'd be a bit concerned about the leverage of bolt length you'd have to use, and stress on the compressor housing.
Maybe you could use the OEM mounting on the front, but again not ideal assuming you are going longitudinal in a space frame.
Or move the AC compressor somewhere else?

DH2

Many thanks for your thoughts which I appreciate. The bolt lengths are fully supported over their length by the compressor casting so I would have thought leverage wouldn't be an issue. And if I used a plate to pick up on the four compressor fixings which would provide an even load my feeling is that it would be okay. I really would like to keep the compressor if at all possible. I don't think re-positioning is an option. Perhaps using an A frame to pick up the OE mounting at the front might work as a supplementary mount. Food for thought. Thank you. John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.