Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Power Flushing Central Heating - Is it a good idea?
John P

posted on 14/11/19 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Power Flushing Central Heating - Is it a good idea?

We're probably going to get a new boiler fitted and one company has quoted for a Worcester Bosh combi boiler.

There are two prices, one for the boiler and "An appropriate flush of your central heating system" the other for the same boiler but with a magnetic system cleaner and "A powerflush of your central heating system". (Option 2 is around £400 more).

The first option includes a 7-year warranty whilst adding the magnetic cleaner and powerflush increases the warranty to 10-years.

I'm quite happy about the magnetic cleaner but worry if powerflushing the system could lead to leaks bearing in mind the central heating pipework and some of the radiators are probably 15 - 20 years old.

Any recommendations?

John.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/11/19 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Magnetic filter is a must in my opinion you don’t need a power flush there’s plenty of decent products on the market that will clean the system
adam1985

posted on 14/11/19 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, does it need flushing? Has the system water been tested?

Powerflushing can cause leaks but it is very rare, obviously the installer has to tell you about potential problems to cover his back.

Im not to familiar with worcester products but a powerflush wont extend the warrenty. But i think the installation of a magnetic filter (probably a worcester filter) would.

You can buy a fernox kit which you send off with a sample of heating water, they will test it and let you know if it needs cleaning

nick205

posted on 14/11/19 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
We had a Worcester Bosch combi fitted 15 years ago and it's still going strong for heating and hot water. It replaced an older boiler and hot water tank system, but there was no power flushing done (or offered IIRC). When the heating system was refilled then (and a couple of times since when a shower and 2 radiators were added) inhibitor was added, which I believe protects the radiators etc. from corrosion.

With regard to the warranty make sure you read everything and stick to the service schedule. Ours came with a 5 year warranty, but was dependant on the boiler being serviced annually. I'll admit I missed a service, but the boiler's never gone wrong and we never had to call on the warranty.

On the power flush you might try speaking to a few neighbours to see if they've had it done and have any experience to report.

perksy

posted on 14/11/19 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of boiler manufactures insist on it being flushed as part of the warranty

Alternatively Sentinel XT400 is a good cleaner and will fetch allsorts out and then XT100 to protect it going forward

Fitting a Magnaclean is a very good idea and worthwhile

A lot will depend on the size of your current pipework, Microbore has a tendency to crud up more than 15mm

dmac

posted on 14/11/19 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
If the power flush causes a leak because of a weak point in the pipework then at least you have a plumber on site to fix it, if you don't then sods law says it will break on Christmas day when it will cost a fortune to fix.
cliftyhanger

posted on 14/11/19 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to say that... if worried about leaks now is the time to find them.
Magnaclean or similar is a brilliant bit of kit. Not convinced by powerflushing, I had a new boiler fitted by BOXT (good service, good price, worth getting a quote) in a rental, they flushed it with something, not powerflushed. Fitted a magnetic cleaner and issued the full Worcester Bosch warranty.
If there is an issue with water quality and you make a claim, it is the get-out clause the companies like. I would chuck some aggressive cleaner in the system for a while (week?) to shirt as much as possible, maybe do my own drain and refill with more cleaner and then get the new boiler fitted.
As to warranties, never been a fan. Reckon just use the boiler and get it fixed if/when it goes wrong.
The replaced boiler was about 20 years old, had a new fan £200 about 4 years ago. Elsewhere in my small empire a Worcester needed a new PRV as some twat had messed with the filling loop. And a potterton had a new board at 8 years old,but that was 6 years ago. Boilers in general seem reliable enough.... they get a landlords certificate every year, and seem to last about 20 years with a total spend of £300 on average is my reckoning.

mark chandler

posted on 14/11/19 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
You can hire a power flush tool, it's a tank with a powerful pump and replaces a radiator, around £60 from memory.
Mash

posted on 15/11/19 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
You can hire a power flush tool, it's a tank with a powerful pump and replaces a radiator, around £60 from memory.

Indeed, and my plumber did a power flush and certainly didn't charge 400 quid! Same boiler too

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.