Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My old locost has come home !!
Deckman001

posted on 18/3/20 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I'ts mostly finished so went off to this afternoon to have the suspension and geometry set up ready for the IVA.

Here's a pic before it was driven off by the set up guy on trade plates.

Description
Description

Jason

Sadly have just a txt from the driver saying the diff sounded very loud, looks like i might have to get that replaced or repaired before the IVA test

[Edited on 18/3/20 by Deckman001]

Deckman001

posted on 16/4/20 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick update as the car is now at the garage being set up properly, The Diff on the drive there was so noisy, the guy needed earphones to concentrate, so I've asked him to drop it out seeing as he said it's an easier job at his garage with ramps and all off his tools. He's going to asses it once it's out and give me a call about it, he has a guy he sends axles and gearboxes to, so will get a price when he knows a bit more

At least while it's there he can sort the VIN plate and chassis number though

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 29/4/20 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well, Just had an update on the Diff, It's a 3.54, he showed me the tag bolted on and just needs a full bearing kit so all ordered and it might start going back together next week.

So am just wondering, with a tuned 1600 x/flow fitted with a type 9 g/box attached to a 3.54 diff driving 13" wheels with normal Locost racing tyres type fitted, will i get decent acceleration with a limited top speed?

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 29/4/20 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001

So am just wondering, with a tuned 1600 x/flow fitted with a type 9 g/box attached to a 3.54 diff driving 13" wheels with normal Locost racing tyres type fitted, will i get decent acceleration with a limited top speed?

Jason

I have a tuned 1600 Xflow in mine with a 3.62 Sierra diff and 195/50/15 tyres which has decent acceleration although I changed the gearbox for one of BGH geartech’s which improved things no end. Can’t possibly comment on the maximum speed!

Deckman001

posted on 29/4/20 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Ha, although I know i love speed, I wasn't intending to build a rocket, I just love the feel of my car and the open air driving it gives, I would though like it to be a good drive with some sporty acceleration as Iv'e got friends who want me to take it to track days with them in their modified road cars and heavy race cars

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 12/6/20 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Just to give an update, I should get it back by Wednesday next week as the space is needed in the MOT shop !!
It's been set up as a Cat Supersport so should be good for the road or track depending on IVA.

Have fitted the new side repeaters to the front cycle wings, and fitted a new suitable relay to reduce the flashing rate due to some led bulbs used.
Axle and diff have been out and overhauled, new bearings all round should cure the whining
Ignition timing has been checked and the advance reduced as i had temp set it up way to advanced, oops.
Tappets have also been checked and adjusted, thought id done that, but apparently the exhaust clearances were all over the place, but always too big, so hopefully it'll be quieter too now.

My friendly MOT man knows the IVA guy who used to work at the local but now closed centre so is going to ask him to look my car over for obvious things that can be sorted before i go to IVA.

I await a reply from K and R DVLA for my chassis number so will just keep tidying things up as best as possible during the wait and also learn to sew myself a rear boot cover, eek.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 19/6/20 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I received a great comment from the guy who drove my locost back to me from the garage it was being set up in. He is the owner and the guy who did the set up for me.

He said " F*** it's quick !!"

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 22/6/20 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
So, a few more jobs crossed off the list.

top side rail covered as well as the curve by the exterior arm curve
Description
Description

I have also drilled and put a split pin through the bias pedal box adjuster bar. No pic available as it was a nightmare just to complete that !!

Replacement passenger seat installed so no cracked fibre glass sides to repair before IVA, drivers seat re-positioned to give a little bit better gear stick access for shorter people.

Steering wheel spokes covered with vinyl so that no holes exposed.

All in all a few good hours done to the car

Jason

James

posted on 22/6/20 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see the progress mate- well done!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Deckman001

posted on 22/6/20 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I'm hoping to get it on the road by the end of summer, but am still waiting for a chassis number before I can book an IVA test.

James, How did you cover your steering column ? did you use a std shroud or do something else ?

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 4/7/20 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Another recent pic of my car, Sadly my daughter was playing with her phone options, and slightly changed the colour !!

Description
Description

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 5/7/20 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Another pic, the newly fitted rear springs, it now bounces at the rear too

New springs fitted
New springs fitted

Deckman001

posted on 10/7/20 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my first attempt at a rear boot cover, not too bad me thinks,

New rear cover
New rear cover

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 19/7/20 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Another quick update,
Chassis number received, have stamped it on the top rail near side ali cover from the sides, this was to test what i could do and it looks pants so good job it's not where it's meant to be, so have ordered a blank vin plate and will stamp that and attach it where it should be on the off side top rail.
Have tidied up loose wiring under the dash, so no loose cables are clear to see of hanging below the dash.
Have sealed up all gaps in the foot well and tunnel areas.
Steering column is now covered where the cables were exposed.

Jobs still to do.
Will get some satin black paint and clean up the cockpit floor and sides where needed to make it look fresher.
Try to retrieve my engine number that was skimmed off during a decking job by the original owner, if that fails, I'll need to get another one
Try to get the GSXR 600 srad bike carbs looked at the get an even better balance from them.
Fill in IVA forms and sign my life away !!

Jason

[Edited on 19/7/20 by Deckman001]

Schrodinger

posted on 20/7/20 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
I think you will find the VIN should be stamped on the chassis, VIN plates are normally alloy and you need one of those as well.
I bought some strip steel and practiced with it until I was happy with the punching and then welded it to the top rail. You could always get an engraving shop to engrave the number on a strip and weld that.

Keith
Aviemore

Deckman001

posted on 20/7/20 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
I think you will find the VIN should be stamped on the chassis, VIN plates are normally alloy and you need one of those as well.
I bought some strip steel and practiced with it until I was happy with the punching and then welded it to the top rail. You could always get an engraving shop to engrave the number on a strip and weld that.

Hi,
So do i need two places with VIN numbers on them ?

Jason

Schrodinger

posted on 20/7/20 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I can't remember the exact positions but the manufacturer's plate should be on the bulkhead drivers side and the chassis number should also be stamped/engraved on the chassis on the drivers side.

Keith
Aviemore

Simon

posted on 20/7/20 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
When I did mine I had vin number in one obvious place (under bonnet) and repeated it elsewhere so, i guess if some scummy little toe-rag nicked it and ground away the obvious number, you could prove ID by showing the hidden one.
Deckman001

posted on 20/7/20 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ok guys, many thanks, I'll fix the ali plate one to the bulkhead drivers side, get a steel plate stamped welded to the top rail drivers side to hide the chassis rail where i tried to do it myself and failed !!.

That and use a smaller hammer to get a bit more control over it aiming at the stamps. I only just have all my digits after smacking a finger half way through doing the first steel VIN stamping

Many many thanks guys.

Jason

James

posted on 21/7/20 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cheers, I'm hoping to get it on the road by the end of summer, but am still waiting for a chassis number before I can book an IVA test.

James, How did you cover your steering column ? did you use a std shroud or do something else ?

Jason

Sorry- only just spotted this by luck!

I used the boring old Sierra column shroud as by luck it fitted perfectly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Deckman001

posted on 21/7/20 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Jason

Sorry- only just spotted this by luck!

I used the boring old Sierra column shroud as by luck it fitted perfectly.

No worries James, I think I've sorted it now.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 2/8/20 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, well just an update. I took the car for a fill up with fuel and drove it to my local mot guy to get the chassis plate welded in. when i got to him i found out that i had a petrol tank leak so had to drain out what was left so that the welding could carry on. Got it back home and tried to strip out the tank, but it wouldn't come out so just managed to get to the offending cover plate and strip that off too, cleaned it all up and resealed it and all seams good now. So that was refitted, and moved onto the lack of caster angle.
Found about 3mm of movement on the top wish bones which when rebuilt and test driven it felt so much better i couldn't stop smiling. It still isn't enough for the IVA test, so I'll be doing the same on the lower wishbones and moving them forward by hopefully the same 3mm.

The trials of building a kit car eh !!!

Jason

steve m

posted on 3/8/20 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Jason.

You get my stamp of approval

From memory, the castor angle in the book was 5.3 % but never got a good result from that, and in the end had 7%

I have a proper gunsons guage to do castor/camber, you can borrow, if you are down my way
One of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-77066-Trakrite-Magnetic-Camber-Castor-Gauge-Aligning-Tool/172500502021?epid=15017008822&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&h ash=item2829d4c605:g:QHYAAOSw5cNYiMqQ&enc=AQAFAAACYBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkSG%2BOFgrj2Yvbvmrj2TAdM8QxZfzsRYKfSC7djaIHwf4wzF QEPENgO5YSzZiKyINDgAmwl7JenT%2FBRpRVARAynv5Ml4e5OaoSLlv9yDyU6Qoi3%2Fi6zuIJPmNZvT7B0zMmL2msIULEGqTo21K7FjWhu2mU2sbx64JlKVIAiY1gKJVyn5WaccU9PstHND49arap iIE9zCsPVGNOUAVB8i3UkxeiIjk0J0Mqn3s1OHTOiE2A9G69LziAiZGsG2UhDWYntWdUqk7xhDCzWkbh%2FML0b3f295iJwssPOBzbXc02BuE%2Bk77bWy44HB%2BOnNqugdbOlEk0cqX7wM9SIDxT E0HYz%2FNFLUzWIsNhb2nhvk9jv2mKIcG31Y7iP1PwP%2FezcFYX7B6AHcDYLhNGwT8mSmB%2F3wuircKiQf5%2BMMK%2Fa3NOKzpbw2jhPxKOiIJFLY2CfLUVK%2FVYeo%2FAcuqsSJXWnphUJ5Sq kiurCxkkRzMyFwd9C0NE5%2FtvT%2BDc7DOhHgytjZp8nmo%2FubJ9swKbyaxqYNa5RP%2B9iUnsPfdgptT9Cz73IkO9qr3KPZZnmKtcBQQoD4%2BbxAhBjluXStRdHjHVQUymc%2BW34mzaJT6%2F ilTD5wuP9cU%2FPuBpvHHwDx3Dieja0RTUcLO3U5P16Pn3H4HoWWZWf80192%2BWwYSvgLoUdHoZdhJV9YV2cHpSVZAHLXH4NQajtLFtLX%2FXgimaspNhbx%2F7spy2ju%2FLnnZk1Zfe5W3vK%2B TJRBicOorCZiFlL5UNNrMr&checksum=1725005020213c8b32e5c5fb440a96598e60987c9ef7
steve

[Edited on 3/8/20 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 3/8/20 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,
Many thanks for that. Am going to do the lower bones first and see if i can borrow his trade plates again for a trip up the road to see if it's worked.
If feels so much better already, I'm now confident to take my hands off the wheel knowing it won't try and kill me straight away by pulling to one side or the other !! So i hope im going in the right direction enough to just get a pass on it with self center'ing just starting when he tests it.

Oh, and the fuel sender unit turned out to be rusted up, so that had to come out and get cleaned up, it now works

Speedo is reading a little high, but it is the right side of accurate, does anyone know how accurate it needs to be ?

Jason

steve m

posted on 3/8/20 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Jason

What tyre pressures are you running, as I found, that 17psi was spot on, and anything over 28 was like driving on ball bearings
although for IVA a lot of cars went through with 30 plus in the fronts to aid the self centering

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.