Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need advice on FWD layout.
akumabito

posted on 26/1/20 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Need advice on FWD layout.

Hi guys,

I could use some advice on the most 'sensible' way to convert a FWD car to bike power.

In my mind it makes sense to keep the car transmission in place - only top gear and reverse would ever be used. All the actual shifting would be handled by the bike trans. This solves all the problems with the diff / driveshafts / reverse.

Am I overlooking something? Are there any significant drawbacks to this configuration? What would be the best way to attach the bike's output shaft to the car's input?

JC

posted on 26/1/20 at 04:36 AM Reply With Quote
The second version Pell Genesis, arguably the first of the BEC, used a chain driven gearbox albeit in mid-engined configuration. They kept one motion shaft in the box plus reverse so that it had high and low ratio. It might be worth seeing how they did it - I have an old magazine somewhere, I’ll check if there’s any info there.

Some cars have chain driven a mini diff to go FWD....no reverse like that though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 26/1/20 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
The only one I've seen like that is the BMW boxer conversion for a 2CV, but I think they BMW gearbox isn't used in that example

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.