Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Omega gearboxes
Eddie1978

posted on 3/3/20 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Omega gearboxes

Hi toying with the idea for a engine upgrade in the near future and dont think a bog standard type9 would be happy with 250 donkey powers going through it. The next bolt on choice is the omega gearbox, has anybody used one of them and what are they like size wise for the trans tunnel? I am assuming the death wheel and mig welder will come out to play.
BTW it's a locost chassis.

[Edited on 3/3/20 by Eddie1978]

russbost

posted on 3/3/20 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Not done it myself, but I know someone with an AGM WLR (which was basically a 7 chassis but with an LMP style body) who is running the Saab turbo engine with the Omega box. He has several different maps on the ecu which can be switched, the most powerful of which is around 450BHP. The box seems to handle it without a problem, he's done quite a bit of mileage with it over several years & it's been fine, I don't think he uses 1st gear when on max boost.

I believe there were some chassis mods made at the build stage to get that engine/box package in

HTH

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Eddie1978

posted on 3/3/20 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
It's for a saab engine swap, the easy option is to retain the type 9 prop etc.... and just put a vaux bellhousing on but the box will grenade unless I put a ton of money into it. The advantage of the omega is it will take the power and a remote gear lever so can finally have the gear lever where I want it, downside is new prop needed and lose my mechanical speedo. It's more down to how much chassis mods needed
big_wasa

posted on 3/3/20 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Are they much different to an Mt75 in size ?

I ran one in my locost. Ive just fitted another in my mk for the same reasons as you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.