Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Streaming stick??
cliftyhanger

posted on 7/5/20 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Streaming stick??

Our 5 year old "now tv" box is a pita, keeps dropping internet despite having a wired connection, so happy to bin it.

We also want to be able to watch Disney plus (long story) and use it to watch catchup TV, all the usual suspects.
The Roku Premiere 4k stick seems to do Disney plus, but as I can't go and ask instore, does anybody know if I can use it for the ITV, C4 and UKTV catchup? I suspect yes, but info is almost impossible to find.
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3269130

Or if anybody has other suggestions, at similar price point, that would be great.

[Edited on 7/5/20 by cliftyhanger]

[Edited on 7/5/20 by cliftyhanger]

kingster996

posted on 8/5/20 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the roku does bbc, itv, c4 etc catchup. Works well and has access to lots of apps unlike nowtv stick.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/20 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Roku is closely linked to NowTV --- Sky own 50% of Roku Basically a NowTV stick is a firmware restricted version of an entry level Roku --- anything you can do on a NowTV stick you can do on Roku.
Personally having had NowTV, Roku, Chromecast and Amazon If find Amazon by far the best and only use NowTV for very specific programes & F1. Chromecast is not in the same league but is more useful for casting video from web pages.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/5/20 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to butt in...

If I plugged in an Amazon fire stick into an HDMI audio extractor that is connected to my projector...would that work???? the wife has a Amazon prime membership we use downstairs through an Apple Tv box, I'd just like to get the same films on the projector.

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 8/5/20 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps for the info. Oddly Disney plus has appeared on our box, and seems to work seamlessly. However, still hopeless on catchup. So will be buying something updated.

Sorry Mr Whippy, I have no idea! Others may be able to help though. (but if that HDMI can be used for DVD or any other video source, I reckon it should work fine.)

coyoteboy

posted on 8/5/20 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
sorry to butt in...

If I plugged in an Amazon fire stick into an HDMI audio extractor that is connected to my projector...would that work???? the wife has a Amazon prime membership we use downstairs through an Apple Tv box, I'd just like to get the same films on the projector.

Cheers

Work for what? Can't see why not - I run a fire stick through an AV receiver HDMI in - the receiver splits the audio to its own amp and video out of either the TV HDMI link or the Projector HDMI link. I do the same with the Bluray player, the raspberry pi and the chromecast. - all of them can be on the TV or the projector.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.