Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Outdoor porcelain tiles, slip rating
02GF74

posted on 13/5/20 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Outdoor porcelain tiles, slip rating

I'm looking to tile the patio and have found a good deal for porcelain outdoor tiles that are R9 slip rating.

I have no idea how that translates to real world, there is minimal slope but it will be rained on.

I can also find tiles with R12 rating but close to 2x the price, again I haven't a clue how much difference that would make.

Obviously if I can get away with the cheaper tiles, then great but not if it means much higher chances of busting an arm or leg.

[Edited on 13/5/20 by 02GF74]

gremlin1234

posted on 13/5/20 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I'm looking to tile the patio and have found a good deal for porcelain outdoor tiles that are R9 slip rating.

I have no idea how that translates to real world, there is minimal slope but it will be rained on.

I can also find tiles with R12 rating but close to 2x the price, again I haven't a clue how much difference that would make.

Obviously if I can get away with the cheaper tiles, then great but not if it means much higher chances of busting an arm or leg.

[Edited on 13/5/20 by 02GF74]

/joking/
well if you look at all the old roman and other porcelain statues, most have broken arms /-joking/

but real world
https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/geis2.pdf

number-1

posted on 13/5/20 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
R9 are for indoors....R12 are for outdoors............dont break your back......get the R12. Or dont tile the patio...........

https://www.directtilewarehouse.com/blog/2018/06/27/anti-slip-tile-ratings-and-grades-r13-r9-explained/

[Edited on 13/5/20 by number-1]

02GF74

posted on 13/5/20 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
The reason why I am looking at porcelain tiles is they are thinner than slabs, 10-20mm vs 38-50mm. I don't want to raise height of the patio so as not too risk breaching damp course and thicker slabs will create a step from the garage to patio.

Thinnest slabs I've found are 38mm.

steve m

posted on 13/5/20 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
My mother has some porcelain tiles in the front porch, and when the get wet they are lethal,

I wouldn't have them just for that reason

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

number-1

posted on 13/5/20 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Leave the tiles short of the wall and backfill with gravel so any water drains away.
BangedupTiger

posted on 14/5/20 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Internally I wouldn't use anything less than an R13 in a bathroom or are that will get wet, so I'd say the same for outside.

I've got Travertine flooring downstairs and if you stand on it with a wet shoe its like an ice rink.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.