Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec-type9 clutch limits?
baz-R

posted on 19/6/20 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
zetec-type9 clutch limits?

i went down the well trodden route of the early Mondeo clutch and pressure plate on 1800 zetec flywheel with long capri release bearing

now after 8000 miles driving and lots of racing standing starts and tyre warming from hill-climbing, sprints, auto-test and 165bhp_135lb/ft (now more) on a tall 1st ratio kit, semi slicks and a LSD I'm starting to get on occasion the clutch will tend to not instantly bite for half a second and a bit of a whiff on a hard standing starts if the tyres dont spin up, looking back at my dyno sheet on the unported head i was making 110-115 lb/ft at 3000

I'm begin to think I'm getting to the max of the spec of the clutch and pressure plate I'm using as it seem fine on the move.

its was reasonable quality clutch kit (LUK) and I'm now thinking it might need an uprating in the near future?

anybody had any similar issues or know of any reasonable upgrades without going too mad? i do have a spare flywheel but ideally don't want to go down the faf of re-drilling and balancing to as it would probably be cheaper and easier to swap out the flywheel at the same time to a lighter option?

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/6/20 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
No issues with an 1800 flywheel but redrilled with Pinto clutch. On st170 engine, in a spitfire so heavier and shown little mercy. Done at least 15K now including a few runs at Santa Pod (they are hard on a car)

I assume the clutch does not need adjustment (ie there is still free play)

[Edited on 19/6/20 by cliftyhanger]

baz-R

posted on 19/6/20 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
No issues with an 1800 flywheel but redrilled with Pinto clutch. On st170 engine, in a spitfire so heavier and shown little mercy. Done at least 15K now including a few runs at Santa Pod (they are hard on a car)

I assume the clutch does not need adjustment (ie there is still free play)

[Edited on 19/6/20 by cliftyhanger]

yeah is got freeplay i just think is been given a bit too much of a hard life or beyond is limit
think the pinto clutch may be a bit bigger diameter i need to do some digging?

[Edited on 19/6/20 by baz-R]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.