Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side panel fitting short/long
MBrown

posted on 22/6/20 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Side panel fitting short/long

Hi all,

I'm in the process of attaching some bodywork, and was just wondering if there are any additional concerns to be aware of regarding IVA etc with the side panels if I decide to cut them short for easier fitting like in the below picture. I would prefer the look of keeping them long and cutting out suspension holes etc but I prefer to cut them short for ease of access, maintenance, replacement. I will probably keep the pieces I cut off so I could always add these superately later if I really do want to cover up the hole but so far I'm not too bothered. I understand I might have to put some rubber trim along the leading edge of the fiberglass even if that's just to protect it/make it neater.

Thank you all

[Edited on 22/6/20 by MBrown]

roadrunner

posted on 23/6/20 at 05:31 AM Reply With Quote
just make sure your sharp edges are covered.
jacko

posted on 24/6/20 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
It's a long time since I made my car for sva but when Iva came in you had to have long sides up to the nose cone
Unless some one knows different
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MBrown

posted on 24/6/20 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the replies all, I think I might do it in two parts - I'll cut them short but save the end and then cut holes/fit the suspension through at a later date if required, thanks all
jps

posted on 24/6/20 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
It's a long time since I made my car for sva but when Iva came in you had to have long sides up to the nose cone
Unless some one knows different
Jacko

Given you can put an Ariel Atom type vehicle through IVA I would think you can get away with not having side panels up to the nosecone... But presumably it is an easy way of solving the problem of applying necessary radii, etc...

posted on 25/6/20 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MBrown
Thank you for the replies all, I think I might do it in two parts - I'll cut them short but save the end and then cut holes/fit the suspension through at a later date if required, thanks all

Trouble is that "later dates" never come.

This is a classic use of CAD. ( Cardboard Aided Design )

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.