Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Retropower Gordon Murray Escort
John Bonnett

posted on 14/7/20 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Retropower Gordon Murray Escort

I've been following the excellent Retropower YouTube videos showing the work they are doing on a wide range of classic cars, enhancing performance and bringing the specs up to modern day standards without changing their outward appearance. A really professional outfit with in-house capabilities to do just about everything. Well worth watching in my opinion.

They have just finished a MK1 Escort for Gordon Murray and it clearly doesn't qualify for the mandatory 8 points. So I imagine that it has gone through IVA but retaining the original registration number. Looking at the DVLA vehicle enquiry site it is described as a Retropower Twin cam first registered 2019.

I'm not well up on how things work and I wondered if someone could explain to me how it is possible to retain the original registration number without the 8 points and so many non standard parts.

Retropower have obviously gone through the correct procedure and I'm not questioning that. I would just like to know the rules on keeping the original registration of the donor car.

Thank you

John

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 14/7/20 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I am guessing the process went something like:

Buy escort with original plate and put plate on retention
Build and IVA heavily modified escort and qualify for an age related plate
Put original plate on as a personal registration

That is, assuming it IS the original plate, and not just an age related plate.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 14/7/20 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think the gov website is shockingly unclear.

Eg See this page https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/exemptions-from-vehicle-approval

Hmm, my mid engined Beetle with modified Audi A6 rear subframe, RX8 front subframe fabricated chassis Boxster box and A6 V8 engine - all the bits are older than 10 years so I guess i don't need approval

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
NuZil

posted on 14/7/20 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
There's a bloke building a mid engined Spitfire on a FB group I'm in.
Mid mounted Audi engine and transaxle.
Rear chassis behind the seats is all new.

Everyone's tried to point him in the direction of having it IVA'd, but he's having none of it. Some of the fabrication is a bit horrific.

This, for example.

(This car will not be going through an IVA).




[Edited on 14/7/20 by NuZil]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 14/7/20 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I think the gov website is shockingly unclear.

Eg See this page https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/exemptions-from-vehicle-approval

Hmm, my mid engined Beetle with modified Audi A6 rear subframe, RX8 front subframe fabricated chassis Boxster box and A6 V8 engine - all the bits are older than 10 years so I guess i don't need approval


Carte blanche to do what we like then, ha ha!

[Edited on 14/7/20 by John Bonnett]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 14/7/20 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NuZil

Everyone's tried to point him in the direction of having it IVA'd, but he's having none of it. Some of the fabrication is a bit horrific.



I've seen this car on 1 or 2 FB groups and also saw his refusal to acknowledge IVA etc "It's already registered" he said

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
NuZil

posted on 14/7/20 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by NuZil

Everyone's tried to point him in the direction of having it IVA'd, but he's having none of it. Some of the fabrication is a bit horrific.



I've seen this car on 1 or 2 FB groups and also saw his refusal to acknowledge IVA etc "It's already registered" he said


I've just taken a note of where he is so I can avoid him.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 15/7/20 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by NuZil

Everyone's tried to point him in the direction of having it IVA'd, but he's having none of it. Some of the fabrication is a bit horrific.



I've seen this car on 1 or 2 FB groups and also saw his refusal to acknowledge IVA etc "It's already registered" he said




It just makes me shudder to think about it being on the road uninspected. I'm all for creativity, but it has to be managed with safety and process!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 15/7/20 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Back to the OPs post - I've seen the Retropower stuff and the Gordon Murray Escort. As a company they certainly seem skilled at vehicle restoration and modernisation. I do like the idea of a classic vehicle with modern car driveability.
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 15/7/20 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Back to the OPs post - I've seen the Retropower stuff and the Gordon Murray Escort. As a company they certainly seem skilled at vehicle restoration and modernisation. I do like the idea of a classic vehicle with modern car driveability.


So do I Nick which is probably why I find their work so fascinating. And the presenter is so enthusiastic about each and ever one of their projects. It just shows what can be achieved when cost is no object.

[Edited on 15/7/20 by John Bonnett]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/7/20 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Did you know that the company Retropower was born on this forum by member Nat aka NSdev
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=144462


quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
I've been following the excellent Retropower YouTube videos showing the work they are doing on a wide range of classic cars, enhancing performance and bringing the specs up to modern day standards without changing their outward appearance. A really professional outfit with in-house capabilities to do just about everything. Well worth watching in my opinion.

They have just finished a MK1 Escort for Gordon Murray and it clearly doesn't qualify for the mandatory 8 points. So I imagine that it has gone through IVA but retaining the original registration number. Looking at the DVLA vehicle enquiry site it is described as a Retropower Twin cam first registered 2019.

I'm not well up on how things work and I wondered if someone could explain to me how it is possible to retain the original registration number without the 8 points and so many non standard parts.

Retropower have obviously gone through the correct procedure and I'm not questioning that. I would just like to know the rules on keeping the original registration of the donor car.

Thank you

John

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 16/7/20 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Did you know that the company Retropower was born on this forum by member Nat aka NSdev
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=144462

Oh that is interesting. They're a class act no mistaking that and he did some brilliant stuff here on this forum.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 23/7/20 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it's a lovely Escort and Retropower's work is fantastic and I envy the ability to do such things!

However... if I owned XP5 like Gordon Murray does I'm not sure I'd bother too much about other cars!

Well, maybe an old V70 for going to the tip in but that's about it!

[Edited on 23/7/20 by James]





------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   James 's Aim

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.