Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Time! Pre-IVA Pictures
nickm

posted on 16/9/20 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Glad for the posters sake that hole would have been a bit of a mess !

Nick M

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 16/9/20 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Once again thanks for all the input guys - I've got myself a fair list to work through and check

quote:
Originally posted by CorseChris
Interesting car! And I mean that in a good way

Rear lights again - make sure you can see at least half of the visible area of the rear light from a 45 degree angle to the side - not sure from the pictures, but it may be they are too masked by the rear structure where they are. (had this issue on my current project, it was marginal so I put a spacer in to move the light unit back a bit - yet to complete it and book an IVA)

Glass, front and rear - is it suitably marked for compliance with the required standards?

Ta muchly I think I did check this when I built it, but double checking definitely costs nothing! If they are too far forwards I'll print up some extenders on the 3D printer.

Aye, glass front and the poly screen on the back are both E marked. The front is a Landy screen cut to size; getting the screen on the back turned out to be a royal PITA and a bit expensive! If I were to do it again I'd probably leave it off for the IVA TBH.

quote:
Originally posted by BenBrooks
You may have to put a bit of u trim on your roll cage front mounting brackets (on the round tubing). Tis what I had to do.

Have you got the receipt for your seatbelt bolts? Or have you checked they have markings on them to confirm their rating?

They look similar to the ones I had and they were not accepted by the tester. I had to swap them out for stronger rated bolts and provide receipt/proof of this.

Where exactly do you mean on the R/C? if it's the horizontals out front where it mounts to the chassis I've printed some radiused end caps to fit in them

Need to double check the seat belt bolts; I know I bought them from Merlin but need to either find the receipt or make sure they're marked... otherwise it's new bolts Well, my own fault I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Yip absolutely, my car came with a nice steering wheel but there's no way it will pass the IVA but will be going right back on again afterwards

Let me know and I'll pay the postage thanks

[Edited on 14/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

Will do! Of course I've got to find a better wheel first, I don't really want to be steering with mole grips

Deckman001, SteveWalker - thanks for the fog light conversations, it's one I had to read through a couple of times myself.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Ever get the impression the IVA was written by a bunch of grumpy old gits...?

Only every time I look at it

NickM and SteveWalker - Glad I interpreted fog light position correctly! To be fair it's actually surface mounted, so only three holes would have needed to be hidden... another roundel may well have done the job! It's the real reason for the ones on the side panels

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Irony

posted on 17/9/20 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hiya,

Nice take of a seven! I always think the pre-iva pics are a huge milestone here at Locostbuilders.

Anyways.....

1. Circle at the end of your roll cage above the side reflectors/repeaters looks to have a sharp radius

2. Do your rear reg lights conform to radii?

3. I can't see a your upper front wheel hubs but do they have a secondary fixing on the mushrooms?

4. As mentioned.. front of the front cycle wings wings radius

5. Does your nosecone obscure your sidelights from a very low angle. I failed on this. Someone lying on the pavement with their head about 300mm of the ground won't see the side light from certain angles because its obscured by the nosecone. There is a specific regulation about this. I had to put led strip side lights on my cycle wings for the retest.

6. You don't show your fuel cap open. It needs to be tethered or opened with a key.

7. Do your upper gages obscure your rear view mirror?

8. Where your steering rack adjusters extend out from the wishbones, does that need a boot on?

Hope this helps!!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/9/20 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
So basically wrap your whole car in soft thick foam and cover it with lights pointing in every conceivable direction. Then you'll be fine
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 17/9/20 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Hiya,

Nice take of a seven! I always think the pre-iva pics are a huge milestone here at Locostbuilders.

Anyways.....

1. Circle at the end of your roll cage above the side reflectors/repeaters looks to have a sharp radius

2. Do your rear reg lights conform to radii?

3. I can't see a your upper front wheel hubs but do they have a secondary fixing on the mushrooms?

4. As mentioned.. front of the front cycle wings wings radius

5. Does your nosecone obscure your sidelights from a very low angle. I failed on this. Someone lying on the pavement with their head about 300mm of the ground won't see the side light from certain angles because its obscured by the nosecone. There is a specific regulation about this. I had to put led strip side lights on my cycle wings for the retest.

6. You don't show your fuel cap open. It needs to be tethered or opened with a key.

7. Do your upper gages obscure your rear view mirror?

8. Where your steering rack adjusters extend out from the wishbones, does that need a boot on?

Hope this helps!!!!

Ta It certainly feels like a big deal on this end Thanks for your comments - more for the list!

1. I've got 3d printed end caps in there with a 5mm radius, so hopefully will be OK.

2. Yes... just! I may glue some edging on them just to be sure.

3. They do indeed- I drilled and tapped a bolt into them to stop them from moving.

4. Noted

5. I must confess I haven't checked that... another one for the list!

6. It has a key but you can remove it when it's out, so I tethered it

7. They don't, even with the chair all the way forwards - although it is a little close I will admit!

8. I didn't think so? There's no moving parts there?

@Mr Whippy - tempting at this point

Irony

posted on 17/9/20 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Point 8 from above

Description
Description

I put this extra thick heat shrink on mine so the IVA man with his steel ball couldn't get at the nuts on the rack.

Also note the position of my LED strip side lights. FAILED on this.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 17/9/20 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Point 8 from above

Description
Description

I put this extra thick heat shrink on mine so the IVA man with his steel ball couldn't get at the nuts on the rack.

Also note the position of my LED strip side lights. FAILED on this.

Ahh gotcha; large heat shrink now on order! Also thanks for the heads up on the sidelights; I'll check the angles and make up some spacers if needs be

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/9/20 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if it applies to your car or if I'm just being a nob but I was worried about the many sharp cast edges on my sierra uprights especially the steering arm so have just finished attacking the first one with the flapper wheel and some files. Have to say the difference is quite amazing it looks great now painted and not a sharp edge in sight Very glad I did it tbh.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.