Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield pre-lit vs Striker Size wise
Werner Van Loock

posted on 22/9/20 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield pre-lit vs Striker Size wise

I own a Sylva Striker and love it to drive, though it is not comfortable as I'm 1m91 @ 90kg, got fiberglass seats and floor mounted pedals but can only drive a dished steering wheel as otherwise my knees interfere with it. The only way I'm really comfortable is using a foamed seat.

Now I'm looking at a westfield fiberglass pre-lit, because importing cars newer then 1992 is a disaster in Belgium but have never sat in one and wondering is there more room in there or is it similar to the Striker?

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Memphis

posted on 22/9/20 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
I own a Sylva Striker and love it to drive, though it is not comfortable as I'm 1m91 @ 90kg, got fiberglass seats and floor mounted pedals but can only drive a dished steering wheel as otherwise my knees interfere with it. The only way I'm really comfortable is using a foamed seat.

Now I'm looking at a westfield fiberglass pre-lit, because importing cars newer then 1992 is a disaster in Belgium but have never sat in one and wondering is there more room in there or is it similar to the Striker?

I currently own a narrow-body Westfield SE which has the same chassis as a pre-lit. I used to compete in a Sylva Strker (live axle). I would say that there is virtually no difference in cockpit length; if anything, the Striker's seemed very slightly longer.

swanny

posted on 22/9/20 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
could you get a bespoke seat made to give you the same comfort as a foam seat? I'm the same height as you and fit into a locost (albeit a slightly wider one than the book)
Werner Van Loock

posted on 22/9/20 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Memphis
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock

I currently own a narrow-body Westfield SE which has the same chassis as a pre-lit. I used to compete in a Sylva Strker (live axle). I would say that there is virtually no difference in cockpit length; if anything, the Striker's seemed very slightly longer.

That's the best advise I could wish for, someone that has the experience of both. Thanks

Might still buy it though as pre-1992 cars are scarce.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sam_68

posted on 22/9/20 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've owned both, and can confirm this: internal space for the driver is very similar on both.

Main difference is that my Striker had an asymmetric cockpit - transmission tunnel slightly offset to give a wider driver's seat, and a shorter footwell on the passenger side - so the passenger had less room than the driver, whereas the Westfield's tunnel was central.

JMW

posted on 22/9/20 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 1.83m and 90kg. I had a 88 narrow body SE and I ended up fabricating a pedal box forward of the normal position to be comfortable in it.

I now have a 93 SEiW and I am comfortable in it without any alteration, as it is longer in the cockpit as well as wider.

Sam_68

posted on 22/9/20 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JMW
I'm 1.83m and 90kg. I had a 88 narrow body SE and I ended up fabricating a pedal box forward of the normal position to be comfortable in it.

I now have a 93 SEiW and I am comfortable in it without any alteration, as it is longer in the cockpit as well as wider.

Which just goes to show how personal it can be: I'm 1.83m (6'0) and I dream of being 90kg again, but i rattle around (widthwise) in an SEiW, whereas a narrow body Westfield or Sylva holds me nicely, snugly in place, and has legroom that is just right.

The other thing to consider is shoesize: I'm size 10, and just about on the limit of feeling safe with the pedal box size on these cars. My Sylva was fine, but a friends, fitted with a Fiat Twin Cam, I found undriveable - still not sure why.

[Edited on 23/9/20 by Sam_68]

StrikerChris

posted on 24/9/20 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:

I've owned both, and can confirm this: internal space for the driver is very similar on both.

Main difference is that my Striker had an asymmetric cockpit - transmission tunnel slightly offset to give a wider driver's seat, and a shorter footwell on the passenger side - so the passenger had less room than the driver, whereas the Westfield's tunnel was central.

The passenger seat of my striker is not a nice place to be! One foot on top of the other, turbo an inch infront of the bulkhead, red hot exhaust one side and gearbox the other. I've had passengers begging for a break on a long journey!

Sam_68

posted on 24/9/20 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
The passenger seat of my striker is not a nice place to be! One foot on top of the other, turbo an inch infront of the bulkhead, red hot exhaust one side and gearbox the other. I've had passengers begging for a break on a long journey!

Yeah, even without turbo it's not good.

Worse still for women - they tend to have wider hips, and the reduced width between chassis side and tunnel is really not helpful.

A tip from personal experience, though: do NOT tell them it's their own faulty for having a fat arse.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.