Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aerosol paint and primer
Simon

posted on 30/9/20 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Aerosol paint and primer

I, er, seem to have bought another Beetle (1303) to use as a rolling restoration. Nothing flash, cut out the small amounts of rot and replace and then paint. Ideally I'd let to get the whole car sorted. I've been reading about epoxy primer being ideal as it keeps moisture out so I can leave that on as I go over the car until its all in primer.

So, do any of you have a "you must use this or that" manufacturer as I don't have spray equipment etc (may invest in it for topcoat).

Cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/9/20 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Commiserations on getting another bug

Tbh I'd just buy some good old brush on "real" red primer, I've found that works very well at stopping rust even for a few years out in the open. Boat chandlers sell the good stuff. Problem with epoxy is it's also very good at sealing in moisture and unless the car is heated up before painting there will be some on the metal which you will then trap against the bare metal. The red primer lets it breath and keep dry.

Bugs use to be great, cheap parts simple to repair but now everything costs a fortune and unless you get VAG parts its all just cheap Brazilian tat that's worse than dangerous to use. Just look at replacement heater channels, the VAG ones weight twice as much, same applies to the doors. Been through all that, never again. But good luck, still think the bug is the best looking car ever just a pity they never made stainless steel ones

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 1/10/20 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Have a think about a small HVLP setup, not expensive and will soon pay for itself. A bit slow compared to a bigger setup, but if you are happy to do stuff, even topcoats, one panel at a time, they are OK.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.